Pruritis Ani, or something else?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hey, about 7 weeks ago I had unprotected oral sex and protected vaginal sex with a partner. About 10 days later, I have started to expereience anal/rectal itching. This itch comes in 2 forms, one is a prickly irritation, the other is the one where you get a good feeling when scratching. My question is, do you think I have Pruritis Ani? Or is it something else? I did not engage in any anal intercourse, and I have no other symptoms other than the itchy bottom. Is this pruritis ani or something related to an std? I had done an std tests 3 days after the sexual encounter, but everything came back negative at the time. Most people say that they are unable to sleep at night because the itching is so bad, I have had this itch for a month now, but I am able to sleep perfectly at night. Also, the itch does not worsen when I have a bowel movement, infact when I am sitting down on a surface, the itch is less severe. If anyone has an idea on what this could be, whether is Pruritis Ani or something related to an STD, please let me know! Thank you! 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Basically this itch bothers me throughout the day, especially when I stand or walk
  • Posted

MMM hard to say, could be a coincidence this, cant really see the connection between vaginal intercourse and developing Pruritis Ani. I do know what you mean about the good feeling when scratching though as weird as it sounds as it only adds to itching and inflammation which creats the itch scratch cycle, i find mine tends also to start when sitting down and at bedtime as soon as i lay down  though like you i do manage to sleep with this. Have had this for years as well, nothing seems to cure it either. I bought some gel in a tube from Holland and Barrets whuch contains witch hazel, aloe vera, candula  and cucumber, i keep it in the fridge, apply on occasions to try and prevent scratching.  Only way your find out if yours is a STD is to get it checked out from doctor.
    • Posted

Hey Susan556, thanks for the response. By the good feeling I mean sometimes when you scratch its pleasurable, but at other times when I'm walking its a prickly itch that is very irritating. So it's basically 2 types of itching that I am experiencing. Does the gel you bought provide relief? Have you checked to see if it was a fungal/yeast infection? I am usually very active and play a lot of sports, perhaps it could be a fungus buildup in my rectum. During the week of intercourse I was very stressed out, could that have triggered the itching? 
  • Posted

HI again, im wondering as you play a lot of sports it could be a fungus buildup in your  rectum. presume your not wearing nylon or other irritating underwear and tight fitting sports wear.  Yes i get the when you scratch its pleasurable in a strange sort of way.  have you tried using some canistan thrush cream to see if this helps. The gel i mentioned def does give some relief, maybe if i used it more it may get rid who knows.If you want to buy some its called Dr. organic bioactive skin care.  If its stress causing the itching then it should go away but i doubt this is the cause, i know stress can cause lots of physical problems but an itchy anus? who knows.
    • Posted

That could be the case, but I haven't done any physical activity in about 2 weeks, I also wear 100% cotton underwear. I have tried various fungal infection creams, but none have done anything. Also got pinworm and stool tests done, but they came back normal. I've also sleeped without wearing an underwear for the past 3 days, nothing has changed. I've tried lotriderm, loprox, sudocrem, preparation H, lamisil, aloe vera gel w/tea tree oil, coconut oil and apple cider vingear. I have also used dettol and stopped using toilet paper. I have installed a bidet cleaning system to clean after each bowl movement. Is there anything else you can recommend? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.