PSA test

Posted , 8 users are following.

So my Dad has been for a PSA test and it has come back as 300. What does this mean? He has other health issues but has lost a lot of weight and is not seeming well at all. He has an appointment with Urology this week but I want to prepare myself for what might happen.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

the prostate produce spa Prostate Specific Antigen .4 years ago my PSA was high 10.5 biopsy shows localized Cancer. Last Monday I did template prostate biobsy and waiting the results in few weeks.
  • Posted

I would say with a psa that high he is very likely to have prostate cancer. Depending on his health he will more than likely be put on hormones which stops the cancer spreading further and will reduce psa dramatically. The next treatments will obviously depend on further tests to see where it is, whether it has spread etc. I should think an MRI will be offered next. Prostate cancer is often slow growing and not always doom and doom and gloom. My other half was diagnosed age 57 with a psa of 3.7 it was only a low grade cancer. He had brachytherapy (radioactive seeds) and we hope it has cured him. But with such s high psa this sort of treatment would not be an option for your Dad.

Wishing you all the best.

• Posted

Hi sarah0714 had my PSA test it went from 6 to10.4 was sent to prostate assesment clinic they sent me for a mri scan then I had biopsy, the normal biopsy was 12 random locations found no cancer,but the targeted ones from the mri scan found cancer cells,I have since had my prostate removed I am now 4 weeks post op waiting for my first check up with urology.
  • Posted

Hello Sarah,

How old  is your Dad? 300 PSA is off The charts.  I am not an urologist, so I am not going to speculate on his diagnosis. It is good he is seeing an Urologist.

I wish him well,

Roger

• Posted

Sarah, The PSA test is just a test that says for most males, if the PSA is less than 4, you are considered safe from cancer and if above, greater risk. That said, there are males with cancer with PSA less than 4 and greater than 4 with no cancer. The PSA test simply says what the health of the prostate is. 

A high number like your Dad means the prostate is not happy, and that can be for a variety of reasons, not necessarily cancer.

Anyway, once he sees the urology guys, they may do a few things. Depending on his other health issues, more blood tests, arrange a mpMRI or straight to a blind biopsy.(biopsy with no specific lesion target) 

If I were him, I would try and get a mpMRI, and see what is going on inside the prostate. It will very quickly indicate if he does or does not have a serious prostate cancer. With these results, the urology guys can make a more informed diagnosis and decide what to do next. 

​Geoff  

• Posted

Thank you everyone for your reply. My Dad has a lot of underlying health issues and is not in great way anyway at the moment. He is on a lot of medication too. The reason he had the test is because he hasn't picked up from his usual treatment and he has lost a considerable amount of weight. I am unsure how much treatment he can with stand but we will see what the consultant says on Friday. I am trying to stay positive although in my heart I know it is probably serious.

• Posted

Sarah.  As is said many times, the PSA is only a measure of how much PSA there is in the blood.  PSA is produced by prostate cells so there is lots inside the prostate which it feeds into semen on its way through on ejaculation.  The quantity in your blood therefore, is usually only a guide to how much is 'leaking' out of the prostate into the blood.  In young healthy men this is a tiny amount - maybe less than 1 nanogram per ml (or if you prefer, less than a millioneth of a gram per litre of blood!).  As you get older, more can leak.  Up to about 4 or 5 is considered normal.  Much more means that there is probably something amiss - could be swelling, could be infection, could be cancer.   If it is cancer, the cancer cells may, sooner or later, get out of the prostate and set up shop elsewhere (typically bones, lymph nodes etc).  They carry on producing PSA but now, of course, the PSA is going straight into the blood and can produce a very high figure.  Mine was 228 this week.  Put with his examination of my prostate my consultant reckons that I'm definitely in serious trouble!  I've 'almost certainly' got prostate cancer cells all over the place churning out PSA.  I'm having an MRI scan - looking for cancerous lumps in my prostate and everywhere else and bone scans to see if it's in my bones.  They'll then do biopsies to see what sort of cancer it is and what treatments may or may not be appropriate.  I am deciding that I want to maximise the amount of enjoyment I get before I die rather than just trying to live as long as possible.  It is very tempting for families to want their loved ones around for as long as possible and put them under pressure to accept whatever treatments are offered, however unpleasant.  I hope very much that my family will want to support me in  whatever course of action I feel is best for me.  So far the love and support of my family and friends has been wonderfully helpful.  I am sure that your dad will appreciate your caring too.

• Posted

Thank you Bob for your Reply. My Dad has many health issues that are taking their toll. I feel that if it is bad news that he will not want any treatment. He has had some much over his life and has done well to get this far. Is it fair to put him through even more suffering to prolong a life that will still go through the pain of his other issues. I do hope that there is a explanation for a high PSA level that won't require much treatment but I am looking on the worst scenario at the moment in hope that I may be pleasantly surprised. We will find out at his consultant appointment this week and hope we can do what we can to make my dad feel better and more comfortable.Again thank you for you message.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.