Psoriatic arthritis?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have recently been referred to a Rheumy and went yesterday.

She sent me for x rays and am waiting the results but wondered if anyone else has similar symptoms to me.

I have a lot of joint pain, it's almost every join particularly when I have been at work (sitting at a desk all day) but not so much in the morning which I know is common. There is no real visible swelling and I have only ever had psoriasis once or twice - although have had dry skin issues all my life.

I also have really bad fatigue every day really that I find effects me doing anything sociable it's hard enough to concentrate at work!

The Rheumatologist suggested Psoriatic arthritis and wanted to get opinions of those with it.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

You sound just like me.  I have Psoriatic Arthritis, which came on very quickly.  My whole body was in pain, I felt so tired I could barely function and exhausted.  Get it treated early!  I was told that if I'd had mine treated in the first 3 months then they can push it into remission, whereas if they don't you are probably going to be on the medication for life.

I am on Enbrel and Methotrexate, it has been a two year journey but now I only have the odd day of exhaustion when I can't keep my eyes open and I have no pain, which is amazing!  

It sounds like my PA.  Why does your Rheumy want opinions of people with it, isn't he the expert?!  

I hope you feel better soon xx

• Posted

Hi colourmyworld ,

I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis last

September, I'm 36. I have only ever had the odd small patch of psoriasis in the past,but it does run in the family!!

I have joint pain in multiple joints -

Wrists,knees,neck,lower back,groin, fingers,toes etc... But I only ever seem to get swelling in my fingers (well at least up to now!)

I also get tired very easily and don't have much energy!

The swelling and pain is particularly worse for me during periods of rest ie: in the night or first thing in the morning. I also like you get pain when I have been sitting in a certain position for even a short period of time,and usually have to move about a lot...

Awful whilst trying to work!!

I hope this helps a little and I hope that you get a diagnosis soon,so at least you know what you are dealing with!! Good luck with your results and let us know how you get on!!

Take care Natalie xx

• Posted

Thank you! It's nice to hear that I might not just be making a fuss :P

I will definitely update once I hear back!

p.s It's me wanting the opinions not my Rheumy, bad wording haha.

• Posted

I definitely improved with vitamin d - my consultant recommended d-lux spray for fatigue.  welcome to our world.  Lots of info here - feel free to ask any specific questions - but I do suggest looking through the history here.
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with PA in April 2014 after various tests & different consultants. I had severe pain in my neck, lethargic and all over ache. I then developed a pain in my jaw which was put down to TMJ. Next pain was my knee and then my shoulder. I have gone for physio and it deffo helped me, but needed my knee drained and a cortisone injection. I have been taking diclofenac for the pain and have been managing fine most of the time so I am not on any other meds. The psoriasis came after the pain which is why it took so long for a diagnosis for me, and it is in my nails, and between my butt cheeks which is rather sore at times. I am alive and dont have a life threatening disease, so for that I am grateful 😆
  • Posted

Hi, I was diagnosed with PA in 2013 at 37, started with major sweling and pain in my big toe, since then I have had pain in fingers, toes, shoulders, wrists, ankles, hips, groin and lower back. I am on Hydroxychloroquinne which seems to keep the small joints under control but just stared a course of corticosteroids for a flare up in hip, groin and lower back. Fortunately no psoriasis yet but it does run in my family so I may have that to look forward to!!

I am constantly knackered and find it hard to get a good nights sleep due to the pain. It is the fatigue that I find the hardest thing to deal with as it affects everything. i also do an office job and find that sitting (or standing) n the same position very painful. I do force myself to exercise, I cycle to work most days as this helps me feel like I still have a modicum of control over my life but it is very painful and I only continue through sheer stubborness.

Your PA sounds very similar and would be interested to hear what advice your consulant gives you.

Good luck

Teresa

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.