Psoriatic arthritis

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi I'm new on here, just wanted to ask has anyone had weight increase with taking methatrexate. I don't know if it's the drugs or because I'm not as mobile as I used to be. I have reduced my calorie intake but still my weight increases a pound here and there. Could anyone give me any advise please

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi Carole I have not notice a big increase but being less active will surely have the same effect 
  • Posted

I have always struggled with my weight, but since being on the medicine methotrexate and humors I have really struggled. I think it doesn't help that I'm am less mobile, but I also have craving for food that I never used to and my weight loss counselor says that a lot of Medicean strip thing from you body and your hungry because your body is trying to find what is lacking. Higher protein diets and mark replacements have help me a lot, good luck it a struggle, but I feel a lot better when I keep my weight down
  • Posted

Hi Carol, I have been taking Methotrexate for the last two years,it is difficult to tell but I have become very picky on what I fancy to eat, and I have managed to lose a few pounds. I am definitely alot less mobile. Which certainly does not help
  • Posted

Thank you all for the reply. It helps knowing people do struggle like me, at least i know I'm not alone in this. It's really hard for the people who don't  have this complaint to understand how you feel. I must admit I have found it really hard to accept my diagnosis. Thank you everyone
    • Posted

You are so right,people who don't have Psa really struggle to understand. I am now being to see how many people have Psa, by contributing to this forum I had not realized. I still find it hard to accept my condition,giving up a job that I absolutely loved,and have  now had to take ill health retirement.The stress or the benefit mine field ( have never had to claim benefits) Thankfully have now been placed in ESA Support Group, so at least I can just concentrate on dealing with me.Take Care
    • Posted

Hi Karen 

Did you know you may also be able to get P.I.P payments . If not have a look into it finacially it can make a big difference to you. 

• Posted

Hi Karen 

I did not think I would be eligable for it but to my surprise i was so it is worth applying. 

• Posted

Hi Karen, think this site is really good because you can chat to people who understand you. I'm still working at the moment  but finding it extremely hard. Like you I have never claimed bennifits I'm 58 and just had the odd day off work for general viruses . My employer doesn't seem to accept that I cannot work as before and just keeps saying " well you look ok" fatigue is a big downside for me. I work with my hands as I am a pottery worker so it is really hard. My husband is desperate for me to finish work as he says he hates to see me so tired and in pain. I am just so scared as I don't know how I go about finishing work.
    • Posted

Hi Carole 

maybe look into early retirement due to ill health I am sure there will be something that can guide you on the net, I am 52 and on ESA and PIP I  have been signed off by the Doctors for 2 years i dont know what will happen at the end of that period which is about a year away. 

• Posted

Hi, I have found it so difficult not to work. I worked for the local council supporting adults wth learning difficulties in to paid employment. Thankfully I still keep in contact with the team on a fairly regular basis, who I must say have been extremely supportive,but I have had to go through almost a breavement process.  I am 60 this year and truelly beleived that I would be working until 66 in the same job. The fatigue has been possibly the worse part, we were always so busy with work, the grandchildren,and entertaining it now stops me in my tracks!!! As far as finishing work it was a really long drawn out and stressful process for me, and I fully understand how you must be feeling, it took me 4 months to realise and pluck up the courage. I first met with my Team Manager and HR in March 2015, when it was agreed that I would  apply for Ill Health Retirement, it then went to Occ health,( who I had ben in contact with since November 2014 when I went off sick) I had an appointment with them, they then asked for more Medical evidence from the consultant. It then had to go to the Pension Board and was finally approved in September 2015. I hope that this helps in some way. Keep in touch. Take Care
  • Posted

Thank you for then advice on finishing work. It is a hard decision to make after working all my life. But as you all say there comes a time when your body is telling you what you have to do. Like you said Karen I could still keep in touch with the people I have worked with. 35 years is a long time to just let go. Thank you all so much for the advice. Take care keep in touch
  • Posted

Hi ,You are very welcome. We all need to support each other. Take Care
  • Posted

Hi Carol

Yes, methotrexate does have that effect.  the only thing you can do (which I struggle with, is to count calories and avoid sugar altogether.

• Posted

Hi Lucy, thanks for the advice, how many calories do you try and work too ?? 
    • Posted

Oh - I try to keep added sugar to near zero and eat nuts and fruit.  It's a battle though.  Try to replace all white carbs with coloured ones!  ie swede or carrots instead of potato.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.