Psoriatic Arthritis

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with PSA for 2 yrs now and all meds have failed so far and now have to graduate (big boy now lol) to the biologics. Are there any generics available to Simpony or Enbrel? The costs associated with these are too much for me , so im wanting to go generic.  Any info would be really appreciated.       

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Mark where are you from? Do you have to pay for those meds? I'd recommend the book healing psoriasis. By some Italian Dr pagao I think his name is. It can help with some lifestyle changes which may assist your current medication. But as for your question about generic meds I'm not too sure.
    • Posted

thanks for replying Madpaddy, i'm living in Jamaica and the cost per year for Enbrel is approx $19,000 US dollars, i will definately look up that book and give it a read 
  • Posted

Generic medications only become avaialble after the patent protection period has expired - to allow the company that spent vast amounts of money in developing them to recoup those costs. In the case of the biologics I think this is 20 years - but biosimilars (the biologic equivalent of generics) are a different kettle of fish.

You may find this helps explain:

"This article reviews the mixed success of biosimilars in the EU and the implications for the United States. Because biologics are produced from living organisms, manufacturing issues are more important than in the chemical drug market. The barriers to biosimilar entry into the marketplace are much more difficult to overcome than challenges generic manufacturers typically face and are similar to obstacles specialty injectable producers encounter. The competitive responses by pioneers are also likely to be more important. The capital costs and risk issues with biosimilars make alliances and partnering arrangements very likely. Biosimilars often enter emerging markets, where the barriers to entry are easier to overcome. Nevertheless, the United States represents the greatest opportunity for biosimilar producers, in part because it is the largest biologics market and has high prices for biologics. As the United States enters the biosimilar market, the pharmaceutical industry is likely to grow at an accelerated pace. Automatic substitution is likely to be slow to develop, because of safety and quality concerns. The beneficial impact of biosimilars is likely to take a long time to be realized and to be fraught with more difficulties than was the case for small-molecule generics.

Conclusion

Various factors, such as safety, pricing, manufacturing, entry barriers, physician acceptance, and marketing, will make the biosimilar market develop different from the generic market. The high cost to enter the market and the size of the biologic drug market make entry attractive but risky."

I think Enbrel, for example, will be under patent protection until 2028 so it is unlikely there are any what might be seen as  "generic" cheaper options yet.

• Posted

Hey EileenH, Thanks for your response, I get all the expense that goes with the research process, but for the average Joe $19k per year is a little on the unaffordable side for one medication.      

• Posted

Hi Mark! Here in the UK Enbrel is at the end of its patent period and about to be replaced by a generic drug. Healthcare at Home passed this information on as they have the task of converting all  patients they treat on behalf of the NHS to the generic. Cant remember its name begins with B I think but I'll go off and check in a minute. 

Enbrel must be off patent in the USA too as it was prescribed there first.

I've just come off enbrel as I've been on it 12 yrs plus and its no longer effective

• Posted

Bio similar drug to Etanercept launched in the UK and Europe on Feb 2016 Benpali.
    • Posted

Okapis, , great reading your response this morning, you are slowly becoming my new best friend,, lol  . So benepali is now available in UK ? Great news, I live in Jamaica and most our Medical drugs are from  Europe so i'm sure its only a matter of time before it reaches our shores. Do you have any idea what the monthly cost is for Benepali. I really dont mind consulting with a Rhuematolagist there if its worth it

• Posted

Dont know but I'm sure I'll find it on Google somewhere.

Back in a minute!

• Posted

Mmm.. cost of Etanercept (Enbrel) 50g is £178.75 but precise figures are not yet coming to hand from a google search. One journal paper estimates 20/30% cheaper.

However there are quite a few biosimilars in the pipeline for these types of drugs. As more reach the market after the necessary testing as the patents expire, prices will come down. How much? Where's my crystal ball.... 

• Posted

Sorry... not written clearly. 178.75 is for enbrel and Benepali is reckoned to be 20/30% less
    • Posted

Wow you are a big help .  In the United States enbrel cost approx $25k per year which is similiar to the cost in Jamaica ... this is about 16500 british money. which would be approx 1370  per month. This is a crazy difference to what your telling me now ...  Are your figures with or without insurance?  the figures im quoting is without any insurance! Iwould gladly pay the 178 for the enbrel!!   i need to find a Rhuematologist in britian.. WOW
    • Posted

Answer - the power of the NHS to negotiate a price for specific drugs with Pharmas...A generic will always be used unless there a very specific reasons to use a brand and requested by a consultant. So as the TNF antogonists come off patent, biosimilars will be introduced and used, bringing prescribing costs down for the NHS and allowing greater use of the drug/and or new drugs.

I paid National Insurance when I worked contributing to the NHS. My care is now free as I have retired. 

All in all I have received great care from the NHS both for PA, Atrial Fibrillation and the other genetically inherited stuff (Gallstone etc) for which I am very very grateful especially when I think of the States and their medical system... Did I say system....?

I have just started Cimzia (Enbrel no longer worked after 12 years) and I noticed that some of the initial doses came "free" clearly a negotiated agreement with the supplying pharma. In the UK there is company called Health Care at home which manages these drugs for inflammatory conditions,  obtaining a prescription  direct from the hospital. There is a cost to this, how much I dont know but it frees up the Hospitals from a lot of admin... Same company delivers other services at home - Chemotherapy parental feeding etc..

I'm a baby boomer and very conscious that there are a lot of us around placing an increasing burden on the public purse. Combined with the availiblity of new drugs/treatment the NHS is having a hard time keeping up with demand. Our expectations have increased too!    

• Posted

As for finding a Rheumatologist in Britain.. alas the days of uncharged treatment in the UK for visitors is over! I witnessed from my hospital bed both a Nigerian women and a lady from Barbados being informed that they were not entitled to care and that they had run up bills of horrendous proportions! The former was living in the past but the latter had deliberately given her UK domiciled daughters address and was passing herself as a Brit...I felt for her as the heart operation she was seeking was not available in her home country... 
  • Posted

Oh forgot to say.. In the USA the drug company applied for a patent extension and received it. Drug use legislation different on the other side of the pond!
    • Posted

Hi OKAPIS. Thanks for your response, yea i'm aware the laws are different in different boundries. I was told that India and Cuba has a generic, I am in Jamaica

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.