Psoriatic Arthritis

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,   I have just had steroid injections in my knees for psoroatic arthritis and slight osteoarthritis, I was on Methertrexate before back in 2007, was only on it for about 2 years, everything was fine until I had a tumble last December and it all flared up. Doctors have changed at rheumatology, this younger doctor is more for injections, which are not doing much. Has anyone else been in the same situation and if you have any advice would be appreciated, thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello Maureen, since PA can be progressive I would go for a DMARD especially if you feel its getting worse. You cant have many steriod injections in a year and its only a temporary measure anyway - will last about 6 weeks if youre lucky.

PA is a funny disease that waxes and wanes for no good reason and certainly in my case became steadily worse. Not the case for everyone though. What I think is important is that the disease is tackled head on at an early a stage as possible - considered best practice these days - look up Arthritis Research UK on PA for their advice. With a bit of luck maybe the methotrexate will chase it away again.

Can you remember what dosage you were on?

• Posted

Hi, thanks for the reply, the dosage of methertrexate was 4 tablets a week, after 18months or so, down to 2, then as i was feeling fine no problems with the knees, i was taken of the drug.
    • Posted

Mmm can you remember what the pill dose was? Can be 2.5mg or 5 mg? A starting dose is generally 10-15 mg a week rising as necessary to get control of the disease. For women 20/25mg is probably the top dose.

If the steriod injection wears off and the pain continues, I suggest you seek re starting the DMARD. Leaving PA to progress is a bad idea!

• Posted

Are you on MTX injections or tablets?  I find injections more effective.  you can combine DMARDS, often mtx with sulphasalazine or leflunamide.  you need to trial this combination before they will move you on to alternative treatments.
    • Posted

Hi,  At the moment I am not on any medication after having steroid injections, that didn't do anything, just taking painkillers when i need them. I am not in a lot of pain, but find it really difficult to walk. At my next appoinment to rheumatology, I will ask to go on methertrexate, which seem to work before, hopefully they will agree.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.