Psoriatic Arthritis?? Do I have it or not?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was diagnosed by my consultant with PA 5 years ago, have been on Methotrxate since, with the addition of Sulfasalazine. Tried Humira with no effect. Havent seen my consultant since, just the nurse periodically. The dose of methotraxate has been increased over the years and I take it now by injection. The Sulfasalzine has had not effect either. I started with pains in my knees, back and had sausage like fingers. The fingers improved straight away with the Methotrexate but not the knees or back. I had a scan which showed areas affected being my ankles and wrists, but had no pain there?? 5 years on and I suffer with pretty much all of my joints and my achilles tendon. I have just seen my consultant and she says I only have a couple of small joints that have swelling, yet my joints are all painful. Now she tells me that I may not even have Psoriatic Arthirtis!? Yet she was certain that i had this when she diagnosed me. She told me I need to lose weight, then wants to put me on steroid tablets for 4 weeks, which will make me put on weight. I have come away from my appointment so upset and so confused I dont know what to do. I have been told not to take the Sulfasalzine anymore and see what happens, but I think I will just stop it all! Should there be more swelling? I know that there is more pain now than ever!

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I can't comment on the rest - but don't despair about the steroid tablets. Although weight gain is an issue for many people, many of the people in the group I usually post in have been able to avoid weight gain (and the chipmunk/hamster cheeks) but cutting their carbs drastically. Not to zero, but absolutely no processded carbs and loads of non-root vegetables and limited fruit (berries are good, apples and bananas have a lot of sugar). We have no choice - the only medication that will manage our pain and stiffness is prednisolone! 

But to be told "lose weight" and "here, take this prednisolone" in the same breath is a bit of an oxymoron! It can be done though - I've lost 38lbs of steroid gained weight while still on pred. Good luck.

Be careful with just stopping everything all at once - your poor body may go into a tail-spin. I'm not sure if other medications must be tapered down, I'm sure the others on the forum will know, but don't ever stop taking steroids suddenly without being told to by your doctor.

• Posted

From what Iv read there's a lot of guess work when it comes to the treatment and diagnosis of PsA

I was misdiagnosed for years . Stick to what your rheumy says but it's your health so make sure your concerns are taken seriously

• Posted

Poor you, my thoughts are with you, i had the same symptons as you when i was diagnosed, the MTHX 20mg injected weekly wasn't enough to bring down the swelling in my lovely fat fingers, so i've had to take another biologic to top up the MTHX. which is working. What i'm wondering is if you have low inflamatory markers the drugs maybe working but you need a pain killer to take as well, as these biologics are not pain killers!!. The sulfasalizine didn't work for me at all, i wouldn't give up taking the MTHx as most people find they are worse off and then it take'ss ages before they can get it again.

Prednisolone is a wonder drug but only masks the symptons i was only aloud to take it for awhile as it's so difficult to stop taking them.

Good luck

xx

• Posted

There are a number of things you can do - the first being to eat more protein and long lasting carbs (low GI) to reduce your hunger.

Different diets suit different people - try an elimination diet to find out which foods make you tired, acidy, bloated or generally less well.

The condition flares up from time to time - even when on medication - don't ditch the medication without checking in with your rheumatology nurses first - they are a life line.

Also - try arthritiscare helpline - you can find it on their website - they are a mine of information!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.