PSSD & sertraline?? Worrying...

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all.

Where to start...I have been taking 50mg sertraline for 13/14 weeks for anxiety/depression. I am now feeling 1000 times better than I was to begin with,basically back to my old self.

Side affects...sexual side affects,i have posted before about the common sexual side affects with this medication,although I am managing to live with it I have came across a lot of information about PSSD(Post SSRI sexual dysfunction) I am very worried as what I can gather so far these side affects can be long lasting..months & sometimes years after discontinuing with the medication,my doctor didn't warn against any of this before I agreed to start. Can anyone shed some light on how likely this is likely to happen? I am going to the doctor tomorrow for more information,and most probably to see about stopping the medication altogether(I'll wean myself off it slowly). I didn't have any problems before & I certainly don't want any longer lasting problems..this in turn would likely make depression/anxiety a whole lot worse for not just myself but I'm sure thousands of people if they knew this would happen.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Could u advise me. I'm 5weeks and 5days in and I'm still bad. Little improved but not much stuff I daily battle with depressed and panic. When did u feel better?x
    • Posted

Hi Rachel. I know how you feel with the daily battle,constantly thinking 'do i feel better or not'. I had seen some improvement by week 5 but it wasn't till week 8 I could see a big difference,took a dip around week 10 but bounced right back...it's got to the stage where I'm not constantly thinking about how I feel or worrying how I'm going to feel. My advice to you is try & get out & about,try & do things that make you happy,see friends,laugh,talk-even if it's just small talk,do it,exercise,anything to take your mind off the medication & the depression...you'll start realising the medication is only there to prop you up,it's your actions that are going to get you better-take each day as it comes,try not to think about what day or week your on-gradually you'll start forgetting..chin up 😊

• Posted

Hi, this has also been a massive concern to me alwell!! Iv been on 100mg of sertraline 2yrs now and my sex drive went straight away. The past 4 months iv gone down to 75mg in hope it may come back slightly, but still nothing. It's really affecting things with my partner as we want to try for a baby, I'm scared to tell him even if I do eventually come off sertraline my sex drive may never come back. I really wish the doctor had warned me before. My depression is under control but I do get depressed about this subject. Thanks.
    • Posted

Hi Laura

I went to see the doctor this morning about this & to be honest he didn't have an awful lot to say about it other than this is one of the cons of taking the medication-I decided I am going to taper down a dose to 25mg & see if this makes any difference & go back in 4weeks with the results. My point to him was if people were aware that it has the potential to have long term affects after discontinuing with it they would likely reconsider taking it! I understand that at the peak of a depression/anxiety episode sex is probably that last thing on a persons mind but as you get better your going to want to become intimate again & if the SSRI is having a negative effect on this it could make the depression/anxiety a whole lot worse especially if you aren't taking it anymore. Maybe you could look into natural afrodisiacs & see if that helps you any? Also have a chat with your doctor about your concerns & see what options he/she has for you. Good luck x

• Posted

Hi,did you eventually go off the zoloft? If so, What happened to the sexual side effects?

Thanks,

Alex

• Posted

Hi Laura,

Are you still on sertraline? If not, did you experience pssd?

Thanks,

Alex

• Posted

Hi Laura,

Did you end up stopping zoloft? Did your sexuality recover?

Alex

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.