Psychiatrist cannot get anti depressent which works for me

Posted , 2 users are following.

He's new in post. Had appointment it seems he is flailing around, asking me if i have had different meds, which I have, then he starts asking about things like clomipramine, abilify, lithium, he doesnt seem sure where to go.  Left not having any strategy, he will get back to me.  Meantime I am so depressed I need something. Should I just agree to clomipramine to get going? Anyone on this

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Without knowing the type and cause of the depression, if known ...
    • Posted

Diagnosis is agitated depression but get lots of anxiety.  Cause unknown - just arrived post spinal op anaesthetic.  Before that aged over 60 still having normal life no meds.
    • Posted

My own experience is limited to nervous depression and that when I was about 20 – I'm also over 60 now.

So you think it's post-operative depression? Were you extremely anxious before the op? Were you in a lot of pain? What about drugs? Did you need a lot – for pain? Was it not so long ago?

Tricyclics (such as clomipramine) aren't much fun in my experience, but at least it's not dosulepin/dothiepin he's trying you with. (I've had prescriptions for both dothiepin and amitriptyline in the past, but not clomipramine.)

• Posted

THanks so much for your reply.  I am not sure what happened, yes i was on full dose c o codamol  for a sciatic nerve trapped between herniated discs before the op.  The surgeon fixed that and the anxiety started when i got home.  Then had pulmonary embolisms.  Anxiety has now turned into a depression too.   Dr said he might think of citalopram or effexor, wasnt sure, so i wait for decision.
    • Posted

Effexor, venlafaxine, is known for "brain zaps", which can, I readily believe, be frightening, so I hope if he goes for that it doesn't make your anxiety worse.

• Posted

I've had citalapram and I was ok with it. Now having sertraline and having all the side effects but it's early days yet.

Hope you get something that helps.

• Posted

Hi, how did you find start up was for you with citalopram, i am so sensitive to these meds i seem to be unable to tolerate the increased anxiety and nausea.  I tried and failed sertraline.  Will citalopram be easier to tolerate in your experience?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.