PTSD to peri, getting back to good health

Posted , 3 users are following.

It was 3 years ago this week that I was in a bad car accident.  The worst of the PTSD lasted for about a year.  I got into some bad habits that year to try to comfort myself.  Overeating was the worst one, and eating lots of sugar, just giving up.  Won't mention all the others, but I lost sight of myself.  Peri-related panic started just over a year afterward, too, then my sister divorced the next year.  And then this year of health concerns has been tough... thought after I had ovary out in April and got through all those months of hurdles that I'd never take anything less than the best care of myself possible, but trying to get back to "normal" got me back into those old habits.  This is why I got so upset about the UTI and want so badly to have good self-care habits again.  

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Getting back into good self care is going to take a little time. Peri symptoms along with life's other stresses can take a toll. It's not an easy process and not something that can be dealt with overnight. Don't be so hard on yourself. You will get back to self care. Just take it one thing and one day at a time. I developed some bad habits myself when all these symptoms started because of the fear that set in. I'm not totally 100% where I was but I am better at taking care of myself than I was. You will get back to it. Take your time and you will be fine.

• Posted

Thanks, Jamie.  The fear, like you say, has been the trigger.  I tend to try to fix a lot at once but slowly see that it's a day at a time, one thing at a time.  We must be gentle with ourselves.  xx

• Posted

Elizabeth I think we are at a similar stage. Lovely looloo on here said you were really trying to change your thoughts like I am. If I'm like a walking zombie I do try to get out somewhere for a bit. The time when I feel ok for a few days running I will celebrate. I honestly think an edge has been taking off it. I am trying to accept it all. Good luck! Xxx

• Posted

Thanks, Michelle, I think you're right.  I'm working on getting myself to do something else when I get too caught up in it all in my head, just picking up something to do or getting in touch with a friend or family member.  Going to pick up some crossword books later when shopping, some fun things to do.  We should definitely celebrate when we have a series of better days!  xx

• Posted

By the way I'm writing this at 2 am as I was restless so came down for chamomile tea and a biscuit x

• Posted

I do that too sometimes Michelle! hot milky drink & a cookie, then usually i can go back to sleep. My cat often joins me for a cat treat & saucer of milk too while my hubby is snoring away...... xxx

• Posted

Awww, I can definitely relate to that!  Still hoping to sleep through the night again one of these days!  Chamomile tea is yummy, I always have some on hand.  xx
    • Posted

Kitties do love their treats.  I have a "nephew" cat who is a lot of fun. xx

• Posted

You are doing so well Elizabeth, & showing great stength in trying to overcome "old habits" & not letting ongoing health issues get the better of you. But, be kind to yourself & accept that you will have odd bad days where you feel overwhelmed with everything - you are human!! And you shouldn't bottle up feeling overwhelmed - let it out!!! I still have odd bad days where I feel tearful & "when will it ever get better", but on the whole I manage & try to keep my mind occupied with many other things while I am physically unwell which is so important. Stay strong Elizabeth. bearhug to you.xxx

• Posted

Looloo, you are right about all of it.  Occupying ourselves with simple, enjoyable things can help.  That's going to be my focus for a while, a first step. xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.