Pulmonary Function Test results

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was told 9 yrs ago I had copd then I went to a new pulmonary Dr and had Pulmonary Function Test done. Was told I don't exhale air very well. It showed me at 3.54 and lung exhaled at 77%. Was told these numbers should be 6 or higher and 80% or higher. Dr suspects emphysema and is doing CT scan. Said I didn't have COPD, can you explain these numbers and isn't emphysema considered COPD.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Anything that chronically obstructs the function of the lungs is COPD. YES emphysema would be in that category. COPD is another medical catch all term.
  • Posted

Hi Jen.  COPD is an umbrella term for empysema and/or chronic bronchitis (some have both).  Both those conditions create a degree of respiratory obstruction which prevents us from exhaling completely.  My own emphysema was diagnosed via a pulmonary function test and a ct scan.  My FEV1 is 80% so is considered mild.  I'm in a wonderful Facebook support group called Ultimate Pulmonary Wellness with Dr. Noah Greenspan if you would like to check it out.  It has tons of support and information like this site has.  smile

• Posted

Emphysema is under the banner of COPD check this patient uk link:

https://patient.info/health/chronic-obstructive-pulmonary-disease-leaflet

It states:-   

What is chronic obstructive pulmonary disease?

Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is a general term which includes the conditions chronic bronchitis and emphysema. COPD is the preferred term.

Chronic means persistent.

Bronchitis is inflammation of the bronchi (the airways of the lungs).

Emphysema is damage to the smaller airways and air sacs (alveoli) of the lungs.

Pulmonary means 'affecting the lungs'.

Chronic bronchitis or emphysema can cause obstruction (narrowing) of the airways. Chronic bronchitis and emphysema commonly occur together. The term COPD is used to describe airflow obstruction due to chronic bronchitis, emphysema, or both.

Lots of information about COPD, tests and much more, including:-

COPD is divided into mild, moderate and severe groups, depending on the level of airflow obstruction. The airflow obstruction is the FEV1, measured with spirometry.

Mild (stage 1) COPD is an FEV1 at least 80% of predicted value.

Moderate (stage 2) COPD is an FEV1 between 50% and 79% of predicted value.

Severe (stage 3) COPD is an FEV1 between 30% and 49% of predicted value.

Very severe (stage 4) COPD is an FEV1 less than 30% of predicted value.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.