Pulsating left ear with pressure/pulsing in left eye

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been hearing my pulse in my left ear for a few months now but i feel it has worsened over the last few weeks. It has become louder at times and the sound is there all day. If I apply pressure on my neck under the ear the sound will temporarily stop. More recently I can feel fullness feeling behind my left eye and can see/feel my pulse with that eye too if that makes any sense. Also I'm beginning to hear it on my right ear this week but occasionally and only faintly.

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Farzana786;  Greetings, I would recommend if you are not seeing a doctor, you may want to.  This way they can get a base line on your condition so they can start some form of treatment and understand what is going on in  your system.    While your symptoms sound very simular to others on this page.  There may be other things in play.  If you are talking OTC (over the counter) medication for cold or sinus, it could be raising your blood pressure to a higher level than normal which wouldn't be good.,   Whatever this thing is that we have gotten, it isn't any fun and it seems to just hold on to us.   Looking forward to more conversations with you and others to see if we can get a grasp on what this is, and than get rid of it.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. I think I've just been ignoring it and learnt to live with it but because my eye has commenced pulsing I'm worried to go doctors now in case it's serious and they decide to carry out invasive tests. I think it is time to book an appointment with my gp.
  • Posted

BTW Farzana;  When this started for me back in October of this year,  I too could hear my heart beating in my ear/ears.  Didn't get to the point of seeing it in the eye,  But so far from what people have been saying about this in the forums,  It is not known, but it appears to start from a cold, flu or an infection of the sinus, ear, upper respiratory.  Some have said they didn't even have a cold or infection.  It may start with one ear and move to both.  Some have lost their hearing for a couple weeks, and others for 6 month to a year with little restoral.  It is REALLY WEIRD.  I am currently seeing an ENT for answers (for the last 4 weeks), since my PCP (Primary Care Physician) advised me that my hearing may never come back and I need to accept that.  Not words you want to hear, but you have to push forward.  Many of us are frustrated because answers are hard to come by and we would all love to have immedicate results, but again we push forward for answers and a solution. 
    • Posted

I'm so sorry to hear that and hope things work out for you. I haven't had any colds or something along those lines recently but Il keep you informed on progress as it may help you or others.
  • Posted

Hello,

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well with regards to your ear and now your eye.

I have had the exact same symptoms and I will get to that. First a little history on my condition.

I have had chronic ear disease since I've been 5 years old. I have had 5 surgeries in left ear and 3 on my right. From Tympanoplasty (reconstruction of eardrum and ossicles-little bones in middle ear) to Mastoidectomy where they remove cells in the hollow, air filled spaces in the skull behind the ear.

Needless to say my hearing had been sharply affected especially in my left ear. With the exception of very loud tinnitus, I've actually been deaf in that ear since 2007.

Beginning in late 2009 I felt constant fulness and sometimes my eye felt weird. I also found myself having a non stop headache. Somedays it hurt real bad and somedays I could just ignore it if I stayed busy enough. In 2011 I could stand it no more and found a different doctor that listened to what I was complaining about. They sent me for an MRI of my head and we discovered I had a tumor that had developed in my inner ear and grew into my skull. It measured 36mmX30mmX27mm. (Slightly smaller than a golf ball.) It was terrifying news, but at the same time there was a bit of relief knowing that there was something wrong and finding out what it was.

I immediately sought out Neurosurgeons and found one that told me about the gamma knife. Although the procedure itself was fairly painless, the prep for the procedure was traumatizing. (To me anyway) they bolted a frame to my head that would keep me stabilized during the procedure.

That was in December of 2011. The next 3-1/2 years was horrible. I had balance issues, headaches that hurt even worse than before, vomiting from vertigo, depression, anxiety, really full of fear a lot of the time.

In January 2015 I had finally had enough so I sought out the best Neuro department in Ohio (where I live) do I could have this tumor removed. The top two were the Cleveland Clinic, and Grant Medical Center (in Columbus). I chose Grant, I looked up neurosurgeons and neuro-otologists that performed at Grant. I could not have picked two better doctors. The surgery requires both surgeons. The neurosurgeon removed the portion of tumor that was near the brain stem and jugular vein, the neuro-otologists removed the portion that was in inner ear and around facial nerve.

It was about a 10 hour surgery, but when I woke up the first thing I noticed was my headache was gone. I was out of the hospital in 6 days, back to work in 6 weeks, bought a house in 3 months (required moving and I was able), and the best thing about it, it did not hurt. I'm talking no pain. Didn't even need tylenol. My whole head was numb for many weeks. As nerves began to heal I would get a sharp pain here and there, but it would be gone as soon as I felt it.

Having said all of that I would suggest you get second opinions. If the sensations does not go away ensure you get scans. Be your own advocate. Do research with regards to your symptoms.

By the way, the tumor I had is called Acoustic Neuroma, also known as a Vestibular Neuroma. They are not cancerous, but can wreak havoc if left untreated.

• Posted

Wow it look like you've been through a great deal but I'm so happy that things have improved and your quality of life is so much better and I hope and pray that you have a healthy future ahead of you.

I am going to take your advice and research into it more. I am familiar with the gammer knife process as my sister was diagnosed with an anurism in 2011 and yes the prep for it is very daunting.

• Posted

Hi, 

I have similar symptoms but brain MRI was normal. What test did they use find your Acoustic Neuroma tumor? 

Ani

• Posted

Are u stressed ?stress can cause this symptoms. gd to see an ent Dr .try to reduce your stress level .
    • Posted

My son has been unwell so I have been a little stressed over that which could be contributing to it but this all started few months back when I was ok and not stressed.
    • Posted

It's gd to see a dr ent to check it out . remember stress can induce this symptoms sometimes we ate stressed but we don't even realise until more added stress ..
    • Posted

Check with the drs ensure no double vision no intracranial pressure causing this symptoms
    • Posted

Greeting Farzana786;  You say your son is unwell, he is not experiencing any of the symptoms you are correct.  Just incase there could be a pattern to follow.  Sorry for the interruption, just a thought though.  Yes, stress and depression can make us sick, as well as raise and lower our blood pressure.   
    • Posted

He has been suffering from unexplained migraines and head aches almost everyday but he hasn't really complained about his ears just waiting for his results on his MRI scan. I don't really think it is connected as both of our symptoms have been different and mine commenced a few months ago.
  • Posted

Farzana786; Not a problem,  Being a foster parent of past, I know some times the little ones can't explain the pain they are going through.  Also since I know for me and a few people around my area, this started for them late september, early october, and while the weather has been real nice here in Ohio, USA, Allergies were high for pollen, so was just to rule out that.  Also for some with the shorter days, are spending more time inside.  Just posing that as possibility for dust, pet dander inside the home, or  an apartment.  Meanwhile I hope nothing bad shows up on the MRI, little ones shouldn't have to deal with things like this at a young age.  They are ment to have fun and explore life.  Meanwhile I hope your getting on the mend, or at least getting a direction to follow.  I do understand this is frustrating and the not knowing is back on both parts.  I guess we all, like you,  are at a point of sit and wait.
  • Posted

Hi 

Plz take it serious and follow ent' advice, would be better if they send you for an MRI that way anything causing these symptoms would come up insha'Allah. As I have heard many stories online who delayed for no reason and regretted.

Keep praying.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.