Puncturing a sebaceous cyst

Posted , 17 users are following.

Can anyone advise if there are any major side effects of puncturing and thoroughly cleaning out a cyst hygienically?

I've heard that this would most likely refill in time but I could live with that. I have one on the top of my head and am very concious of it but for cosmetic reasons I'm scared of having it cut out and being left with a large scar. :roll:

Please let me know your experience. Thank you.

0 likes, 50 replies

50 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have had a history of sebaceous cysts around both arms, it didn't start until I was in my mid 30's and then I had perhaps 15 or 16 one after another over the course of perhaps three years. The worst of these was the first, which due to ignorance on my part I left until it was the size of a golf ball and extremely painful before consulting my GP. Every one of these cysts was treated with antibiotics and disappeared within four or five days of the start of treatment. I didn't have any further recurrence for around 6 or 7 years until last week. This one is a lot lower than before but symptoms are exactly the same and I am hoping that antibiotics started yesterday will have the desired effect. In my experience surgery is simply not required.
  • Posted

I have cysts on my scalp too. I've had them for many years and for the most part haven't caused me much of a problem. Recently though, one on the top of my head has stared to grow bigger and is now stared to show through my hair which is a causing me a fair amount of distress and embarrisment.

I too am not keen have to have these sergically removed so have done a fair amount of homework on the subject and have heard many cases where using castor oil externally on the cyst with a heat compress actually helps disolve and disperse the cyst naturally :idea: .

I am now on day 2 of this experiment and intend on giving it a good shot to see if there is any improvement (have nothing to lose!). I will keep you posted on any progress and if it is successful! Please let me know anyone else has tried this and had luck!!

• Posted

[quote:ac4e6283a4=\"Cat thats scared\"]Can anyone advise if there are any major side effects of puncturing and thoroughly cleaning out a cyst hygienically?

I've heard that this would most likely refill in time but I could live with that. I have one on the top of my head and am very concious of it but for cosmetic reasons I'm scared of having it cut out and being left with a large scar. :roll:

Please let me know your experience. Thank you.[/quote:ac4e6283a4]

I had surgery to remove several cysts from my scalp, my GP prescribed some tamazapam for the day which really helped, the procedure was not sore, in all I had 28 stitches, it looked bad at first, blood in my hair etc, but it was really really worth it, as I have had 3 years with none, unfortunately a few have appeared back, only one at the moment is big enough for me to consider surgery again, but I wouldnt hesitate, go ahead it feels so much better when at the hairdressers etc and brushing your hair.

• Posted

I had something like a sebaceous cyst on the soft skin below my left eye. When I squeezed it a yellow thing came out that looked like the maggots used by anglers. YUK! I dissected the object but it wasn't a maggot just yellow fibrous grease. Afterwards the hole bled and scabbed over. After a long time and many scabs (alright I admit that I messed with it) the hole healed over however there is now a red coloured \"pimple\" about 1cm across that feels as if it has a shirt button inside it. I did visit the medical centre but got the impression that the receptionists think it is their job to stop people seeing doctors. I am tempted to tackle it with a modelling knife but I'm too busy and in any case tasks like cutting hair are best done by somebody else. The pimple is slowly getting bigger so it needs to be tackled eventually because it looks like scar tissue, not normal skin. Can't afford to have it done privately unfortunately. My medical file must be fairly thin but some people must have had hundreds of thousands of poundsworth of treatment from the NHS, doesn't seem fair really.
  • Posted

I had 6 cysts removed 7 years ago (from my scalp). Seven more have grown back, two in the same places as before.

I spent /wasted a lot of money last year on a private dermatologist because i was to busy to sit in waiting rooms. After 4 months of drugs and monthly blood tests that acheived nothing she refused to cut them out as they always grow back......

With a never ending queue of people paying 150.00 a time for a ten minute consultation i really think she was being lazy.

A few months passed and i went to a local doctor, who made an appointment at the hospital. job done, no fuss.

They extracted one for analysis and called me back two weeks later for the rest.

The only pain involved is the jab to numb the area....... and when you forget not to scratch your head. :shock:

• Posted

do you mind my asking how much it cost for that visit to the local doctor?
  • Posted

:oopsI had a very painful cyst several years ago. the nurse at the health centre drained it, and as well as antbiotics it was flushed out with hydrogen peroxide

however it did re-occur, and was treated again. I find the puss still buids up, but I manage to gently squeeze it out.

do not try and do it yourself, see your Doc.

good luck.

• Posted

Hi there

its better just to get them removed I have had thirteen of them removed and it didn't hurt one bit and no sign of scaring yet

• Posted

Hi I have had a cyst like this for about a year now on the top left side of my head. Unfortunatley I am bald so it does show. I went to the Doctor to ask about removal and he said that it would'nt be removed on the National health as it is cosmetic. Has anyone else in similar situations been told this? And, how much are we talking about to get it removed privately. I do want this removed as I think it looks unsightly but with the credit crunch etc cant reallty afford it

Anyone with any advice?

• Posted

Think very carefully on what I tell you..

Things that cause pain are not cosmetic. If your cyst causes or begins to cause you any pain, work with your physician to have your pain dealt with through the surgery that you need. Until it should become painful, it would be considered cosmetic. I know in the case of mine, they tend to get that way now and again: sharp, sudden pains, mostly. 

• Posted

[quote:f336fd98b2=\"*Kat*\"]I have cysts on my scalp too. I've had them for many years and for the most part haven't caused me much of a problem. Recently though, one on the top of my head has stared to grow bigger and is now stared to show through my hair which is a causing me a fair amount of distress and embarrisment.

I too am not keen have to have these sergically removed so have done a fair amount of homework on the subject and have heard many cases where using castor oil externally on the cyst with a heat compress actually helps disolve and disperse the cyst naturally :idea: .

I am now on day 2 of this experiment and intend on giving it a good shot to see if there is any improvement (have nothing to lose!). I will keep you posted on any progress and if it is successful! Please let me know anyone else has tried this and had luck!![/quote:f336fd98b2][quote:f336fd98b2][/quote:f336fd98b2]

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.