purine in foods - conflicting information

Posted , 5 users are following.

Researching what I can and can't eat to reduce my uric acid levels, I find conflicting information on the web.

eg cauliflower, broccoli, mushrooms, spinach, oatmeal, tuna  - high or low?

Some say eat more green veg and whole grains such as broccoli and oats. Others say avoid bran, wheat, any yeast product, broccoli, etc

Can anyone clear this up with certainty?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

This is the web Liz - often full of conflicting and self serving advice due to lack of research/info from those properly qualified in science and medicine..  Then add acid v alkali misinformation!

Broccoli is probably the healthiest thing I eat so no way will I ditch that on a whim!  But, what I have personally and catagorically found is that taking celery seed has virtually eliminated my gout - havent had an attack since i started taking (3 x 500mg, spread out + similarly vitamin C).  Good luck.

• Posted

I was also confused when I found conflicting information. But I've bookmarked many sites about gout, gout food, gout diet, I had no idea how complex this could be.

Basically I quit beef, bacon, shellfish, soda, beer, I do have lots of fish, chicken, vegetables, fruits, and I use tart cherry juice, alkaline water, alpha tabs,and PHresh Greens ( a powder 1 tsp in a 10 oz glass of water ) and I drink lots of water. The doctors weren't much help just wanted to put me on medicine for the rest of my life. I figure the least amount of meds. the better off I'd be.

As we become less ascidic the gout goes away, eating healthy helped me out.

I've talked with lots of people who have had gout. And I'm doing my best to eat healthier. Lots of salads, rather than beef especially fatty beef like hamburg. No organ meats, sausage, hotdogs, pepper stick. Exercise like walking and losing weight was the result. I have much more energy and finally pain free. I thought the gout was gone after 2 months of the gout diet, but now I realize 4 months after that I'm now gout free. Yes I cheat once in a while but now I'm careful not to cheat on the diet to much. Just once a week is all I am doing with the meats, but leaving beef alone for 4 months now. Find your balance with diet or use medicine. I chose the diet. Good Luck and best wishes for a healthy life.

• Posted

Hi I do understand how you feel. When I did my research it sounded a bit conflicting to me too.  I am very frustrated because I'm not sure what I should eat. One thing I have done before my initial attack was 2 years prior I stopped eating red meat only because it was it was too hard to digest. My first attack was about 3 months ago. It started in my right ankle and then it moved to my big toe. It was extremely painful!!!!!

My foot doctor put me on steroids for a week and then she put me on indocin. Well, my right foot although is still swollen the pain has subsided.  But about two weeks ago my left big toe and ankle became swollen and very painful. My doctor told me that I could not start the allupurinol until all of the pain is gone or else the pain would become worst than my initial attack.

I am tired of all of this medications with their side effects so come Monday morning I am going to the healthfood store and purchase some cherry effect capsules and Bromelain tablets (pineapple based) and a uric acid meter to check my levels so that I can monitor what's causing these attacks.  I wish you the very best and hopefully you can find a solution too. 

• Posted

Looks like you are on the right track. Google ( Purine and Uric acid food charts ) and save all your pages or bookmark them. You can always go back in case you need the info. later. I like to eat 5 fruits and 5 vegetables /day. Not necessarily a huge volume but enough to make my alkaline volume more than my acidic volume. This has been working for me for just over a year. I do snack on celery sticks filled with peanut butter and radish also lots of nuts from BJ's stores. I'm walking 4 miles/day now up from 3.2 miles. Being overweight if part of the problem. I'm down 15 lbs from a year ago.

Best wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.