Quad Muscle Trauma

Posted , 6 users are following.

6 1/2  weeks right TKR post op,still  having a very difficult time with leg extention and quads not responding at all to stimuli machine.  Went to surgeon for check up and it seems I have "quad muscle trauma" from the surgery. Going to take my quads longer to recoup and get their strength back.  My therapist is doing an excellent job, had a 2 hour session yesterday and a great nap afterwards!  It's just the quads being stubborn! Not able to drive yet and still going up and down steps one at a time.  On a brighter note...I am doing things now that I wasn't able to do a few weeks ago, so it does get better and easier!

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

hi there

can i ask what stimuli machine you are using? i had total shutdown of quads following arthroscopy in nov 2012 and still cant activate the quads in my right knee, but noone has suggested anything other than physio which is just exercises. i have complete quad atrophy now in my right leg and do not know how to recover from it and all the consultants just look bewildered but noone has ever suggested a stimuli machine.

kind regards

helen

• Posted

Helen,  not sure of the name of the machine the therapist is using, it may be called  "Russian Stimuli Machine",  I go again today and will ask.

Patty Lee

• Posted

thankyou so so much....i would be very grateful. 

kind regards

hope it goes well today

helen

• Posted

If you're still going to thereapy it's worth asking them about the stimuli machine.  I'd do just about anything to get my quads working again, they are the only main problem I've had with this surgery.

Best regards to you also,  Patty Lee

• Posted

i di actually mention electrical stimulauation once and physio had never heard of it ???/ and i mentioned it to my consultant who didnt seem to know anything about it !!! would be really grateful if you could find out the name of it etc then i can tell them. quads too were my main problem after op but because they have never come back they have caused other problems, knee kept giving way...fell and fractured kneecap...have been in leg brace since june...cant do straight ;leg raise etc...its been a nightmare...everyone i see just seems to accept that my quads are in atrophy and act like theres little i can do about it !!!! grrrrrr.

H x

• Posted

Just got back from therapy, my therapist is doing neuromuscular electrical stimulation on my quad, she said it's also called Russian Stimuli.  Hope this helps you out.  Patty Lee
    • Posted

thankyou so so verymuch for that info !!!! you are a star, will mention it to my physio and consultant

thanks again

helen x

• Posted

Glad I was able to give you some help, best of luck!

Patty L

• Posted

Hi PattyLee

I'm having the same problem with quads, and did with my other knee too.

My physiology used electrical pulses last week, but it had to be turned up quite high to get any effect!

It's rather like the Slendertone machines that you can buy to tone your stomach muscles!

• Posted

Even with the machine turned up my quads aren't responding, my therapist has added different quad strenghtening exercises also.  Hopefully soon they'll wake up!
  • Posted

Sounds as though you are doing very well for six and half weeks.  Keep at it.  
    • Posted

Except for my leg extention I think I'm doing good.  Of course there's always some swelling, aches and pains but nothing I can't deal with.  My knee bend is 125 and I'm happy with that!
  • Posted

I used this every single time I went to physio. We call it a Tens machine. You can buy your own. 
    • Posted

I'm going to ask my thereapist about buying one, thanks for the info!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.