Quadriceps tendon rupture

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone, unfortunately, seven weeks ago I slipped on my door step and somehow ruptured my qudricep tendon. It tore straight off of my knee cap. I had an operation to have it sewn back on to the knee cap. I saw the consultant last week for the first time on Thursday. He said that it looks like it is healing ok. it will still be a couple of months until I can walk again.

as you can imagine I've been frustrated, upset and distraught. Something additional he said was that there is something underlying for the reason it ruptured, as the injury is so rare. 

Has anyone experienced a weakness in the tendons or ligaments?could it be AS linked?

your thoughts and advice would be gratefully received

cheers

pillsy

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sorry for your mishap....didn't know a tendon can be torn off a knee cap in such a manner.  You pose an interesting question.  I think there is a connection between tight tendons and AS.  I have had bilateral quad tendonitis and have tight calf muscles.  I have a nagging tight tendon, I think, in my right calf.  The tightness moves around....hard to explain.  Would like to hear from others, too.

• Posted

I don't know if you've seen my reply to your previous thread, I won't repeat myself, but some of the symptoms remind me of DISH (diffuse idiopathic skeletal hyperostosis). It causes bone spurs and calcification of tendons and ligaments, and I believe they can tear.

The calcification of the spine is different to AS, although some people have both AS and DISH (and some were initially wrongly diagnosed with AS because of the fused spine).

• Posted

Thanks very much. It was your discussion that got me thinking about it. Most of my life I wondered why my tendons, muscles and ligaments have always been stiff. I teach pe and have played sport for many years. I have regularly, pulled, torn or ripped parts of my body. This latest problem has been the worst as it required extensive surgery. Is there a test for DISH? I don't see my rheumatologist until late September but I will certainly be brining it up. Can it be treated/supported?

cheers

Pillsy

• Posted

It's diagnosed through X rays or MRI to the spine, they have specific disgnostic criteria. It's worth mentioning to doctors because they are not all aware of it, the first time I had X rays it was missed, only picked up two years later.

I don't have the same problems you experience, but other people have described problems that sound similar.

There is no proper treatment, only pain management, unfortunately. It is not known what causes the calcification.

Just a word of warning, if you decide to join the Facebook group (the only support group I found) you'll find people with very severe symptoms, it can be disheartening, but we are not all like that.

• Posted

An inflamed and weakened tendon is easier to injure . you need to be careful and not strain your tendons and ligaments

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.