Queries

Posted , 9 users are following.

I  am in the Uk and a few years ago I had a hip replacement operation redone. Fortunately, the operation was successful and a few weeks after the operation I received a card from the National Joint Registry with details of the name of the implant and what it is made of.

So far, I have not received a card with details of the implant used in my knee operation which was done in August, and just wondered whether it is normal practice to be informed about which knee implant has been used.

Secondly, do other people take antibiotics before visiting the hygenist at the dentist. I am supposed to go every three months and it is becoming harder and harder to persuade my GP to give me antibiotic cover before attending the dentist to have my teeth cleaned.

I know that there is divided opinions about this, but after going through hip surgery twice and now a knee replacement a few months ago, I feel much happier it I am able to take anti biotics before visiting the dentist.

Just wondered how other people cope.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

hi christine ive never heard of getting a card about the mplant .ive had 2 knees and one redone so when i think about it ya i would like to know but i doubht that ireland have this .about the dentist i also need to visit the dentist shortly and yes i will be asking for antibiotics im not taking any chances from what ive been told its a very short course of them i think 3 days !!  
  • Posted

Re the National Joint Registry, everyone is entitled to approach them for information regarding your joints.  Some surgeons, consultants registrars will give you the details without you asking, some do not bother.  Annoying, yes, but you can still get the details if you wish as it is your right.  As for dental  antibiotics, it varies from dentist to dentist, to guard you from potential bugs.  It is a personal thing. Some dentists do and some don't.  The antiseptic mouthwash and after treatment hygiene normally suffces
  • Posted

No I never had anything from the joint reigstry either I am also in the UK, also I was not told about antibiotics when going to the dentist and I have been twice to the hygenist and once to the dentist.  My dental practice knew I had had a knee replacement and never said anything either. Did your surgeon say this? 
  • Posted

The card from national Joint registry is not important,..if there is a recall the company should get in touch with you.

It's  worthless if people think they can use it for airport security as it can be copied like anything they won't be interested in it.l

as for antibiotics it's up to individual surgeon my shoulder surgeon says absolutely but I only go every 9 months so it's no big deal, I take 1,000 mg amoxicillin and hour before that's it,   no course not days of it.

i have a few friends that have lost multiple joints from infection, so I'm not taking that risk with 5 of them,....

• Posted

The antibiotic thing has the same life as the Loch Ness Monster.......it all depends on who you talk to. As for me and my medical/dental people, absolutely. Depending on the treatment needed I have had one the morning of the proceedure. When an extraction was needed, keeflex for 3 days
  • Posted

Hi Christine...my dentist actually prescribed yhe antibiotics. ...but I am in Canada. ...so I don't have to go to my GP but I can't imagine him giving me a hard time
    • Posted

Sorry..also have never been given any info on my specific implant.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.