Query about coconut oil regime

Posted , 6 users are following.

Wondered if anyone had any advice please? I saw my gynacologist last week who advised going back to 2 months of intensive use of dermovate (clob)  using substantial amounts of the ointment and applying twice daily.  I want to help by moisurising with coconut oil but when do I apply it?  After the dermovate?  Midday if I am applying dermovate morning and night?  I have tried searching the forum but just can't find the answer.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Clob is a steroid and to apply lashings of it means that most of it ends up on your panties!   I am told that an inch squeeze of Dermovate should be applied thinly along the affected area - use more if the area is large.  As for Coconut Oil, you are trying to calm the area down and make yourself feel more comfortable.  Waiting for a special time is not going to help.   Coconut Oil cannot harm you so apply whenever you are feelng the burning/itching.  I swear by Vaseline as it applies a barrier too as well as helping heal.  I carry a small pot in my handbag and so far (hear my prayer) I have kept the dreaded bad flare ups at bay.  I wish you well love, just perservere.
    • Posted

Thank you Patricia - an inch squeeeze is my large amount (well 2 fingers which is the same) of dermovate so it is going on ok thank goodness.  The cocont oil is to help with dryness (I hope!).  It is just so hard finding out what works well.
  • Posted

The reason we don't apply coconut oil right on top the clob immediately is then the whole melting mess allows the clob to drip and run onto the surrounding healthy skin. This is a bad thing. So wait at least half an hour before putting the coconut oil on – maybe an hour since you've been told to use the clob more generously.

There's no point in applying more clob than the amout your skin will absorb. Dr. Goldstein instructs us to massage it in for 90 seconds so it's all inside the affected skin, not running off elsewhere. Then use the oil as much as you like. Maybe use a bit of went toilet paper to remove urine after a pee and blot dry with more. Then coconut oil again.

• Posted

Thank you so much.  This is exactly the information that I needed.  The clob seems to be being absorbed thank goodness but I don't want to inhibit it or affect surrounding skin.
    • Posted

He may have told you to use a lot because he knows how fearful a lot of us are and how stingy with the clob. I've read a statistic that said most of LS patients underuse topical steroid. So maybe he was saying, don't be stingy with it.
  • Posted

Yes sorry, remembered afterwards that there is a definite reason for not applying coconut oil or vaseline immediately after applying the dermovate.  Wait a while, then agreeing with Pam, apply as per her instructions.  Great post Pam.  
  • Posted

I use coconut oil after clob.  If I have a bad flare up, clob first then A&D ointment so urination doesn't sting so much.  I also rinse my bottom with bottled water after going.
    • Posted

Thank you for this.  Tring to work out the best way forward isn't easy.
  • Posted

What kind of coconut oil shoudl I use. There are so many to choose from organic, natural etc. Any advise on the best or recommended kind to use. 
    • Posted

I have organic, but I'm not sure that's important when used topically. I bought it for cooking mostly.
    • Posted

Don't know where you are based but if you are in the UK one of the major health food chains has 16oz jar on offer for half price.
    • Posted

I am based in the USA but thanks for the information : )

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.