Question

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello I just got the phone call confirming I have herpes two yesterday morning. I have been with my boyfriend now for 6 months. I tested negative for herpes when we first dating

The last time we had unprotected sex was about 5 days before the first blisters popped up... Does this mean he gave it to me?

He is going for a blood test to see if he has it.. Is it possible for him NOT to have it? Or is it a guarantee because we had unprotected sex just 5 days prior

Please answer!!!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Already answered. Very likely he does have it, given your prior negative testing and the timing of your first outbreak.
    • Posted

I wonder if the blood test will confirm this for him.. Because I've heard they're not as accurate as an actual swab of a lesion which they can't do because he has no symptoms

Once again thanks for responding, you are like an Internet angel right now in my time of panic

• Posted

If he is an existing carrier for 3+ months and tests specifically for herpes IgG antibodies, he will more likely test positive than not. The HSV-2 IgG test is very good and only fails to detect 2% of cases. Of course, if he does the wrong test (IgM, pcr blood), then this doesn't apply, nor if he only acquired herpes in the last month or two. And no problem; happy to answer questions. smile
    • Posted

So my boyfriend claims he is at the doctors and he got his test results back as negative... Could this be true? We had sex 2 days ago as well... Is it recommended that we both go in together? I don't know if I believe him
    • Posted

That is surprising. Ask him to show you a hardcopy of his results, or go in together. Important thing is to clarify which test he had done. It's easy to test negative if you take the wrong test. Again, just to clarify, your previous negative and recent positive herpes tests were both herpes IgG antibody tests, right?
    • Posted

He took some sort of blood test, so he claims.. And I actually had a lesion swabbed. I live in Canada so I'm wondering if that IgG test is called the same thing here?

I did hear blood tests don't always detect the virus, especially in men

• Posted

IgG is a class of antibody, so it would be referred to as the same wherever you are. IgG detection is the same in men and women, as it's just an antibody blood test, and the IgG test is quite accurate if done at 3 months post-infection. Try to find out the type of test or kit brand, plus actual results (index values, etc.). There are other blood tests for herpes out there that are not accurate.

Your swab is definite. What about your negative test from before your relationship? How was that done and by which test?

• Posted

Thank you for being so helpful! The test I had in the beginning was just a blood test for herpes... I didn't really think too much of it because I always assumed I would never have it so I didn't pay too much attention to the test unfortunately sad
    • Posted

Are you able to request a copy of your old lab report? The clinic should still have it on file.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.