Question about olanzapine and increased appetite

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello.ive been on olanzapine now for 6 years.i didnt get any weight gain at all for the first 3 years or any change in my appetite.my weight remained stable.but for the last 2 years i have had an increase in my hunger,only at night.never during the day.i am also on lithium and zoloft.if anyone could tell me if the hinger would be associated with the olanzapine that would be good.thankyou

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Mathew, yes, excessive appetite can often accompany this drug. Be sure to have your a1c and fasting glucose tested, as it can cause diabetes even when there have been no previous risk factors.
    • Posted

Thinking about it, my mother was on this drug and did not initially gain weight for at least the first year. Some time between 1.5 and 2 years on this drug, she gained massive weight and at two years went into diabetic ketoacidosis. It could be that there's a lag time on this drug for some people. My mother also had kidney problems that I suspect were related to this drug.

• Posted

Hi Matthew,

the short answer is yes, although generally the hunger statts as soon as you are on Olanzapine.

When I was "sectioned" into the Mental Health Unit it was a double whammy because the olanzapine caused weight gain as well as hunger so after a little while the patients were obese which put them at risk of a heart attack or stroke.

I am certainly not a fan of Olanzapine!

Then when you are dischaged from the Unit, they tell you significant other 'YOU mu

But then, I'm talking froma New Zealand perspective while most of you guys are in Britain (I think).

Then when they discharge you they tell your "significant other"

Make CERTAIN he takes his medication or the next episode will be far worse than this one!!!

I could spit...but that wouldn't be politically correct.

• Posted

Should have read "You MUST make ecrtain that he keeps taking the medication, otherwise the next epsode will be far worse than this one!!!

• Posted

Yes, really bad side effects. My mother had no indications of diabetes and went into diabetic ketoacidosis while on this medication. Completely insulin dependent. Horrible medication!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.