Question about swelling after Hydrocele Surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am about two weeks post surgery and as I've read swelling is pretty normal after a hydrocele surgery. But what I'm wondering is how do I tell the difference between normal swelling and the hydrocele returning?

My testicle is about the size of a baseball and it feels similar to the hydrocele. It's not squishy, but more meaty than anything... Parts orbit are smooth but some parts are veiny... I'm almost wondering if it's my epididymitis that's swollen...

If anyone has any insight or comments please feel free, I know swelling is normal and I need to be patient but I really don't want to have surgery again and just would like some reassurance from some others who have had the same procedure

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

don,

They drained 100c.c.'s, or about a quart of fluid from my hydrocele, so the difference is size before and after surgery was evident.  If I recall right, I did notice my post surgery swelling going down about 2-3 weeks after, so I would not be overly concerned yet if I were you.

• Posted

I hope I'm the same, I can handle 12 weeks... My concern is in afraid I already have fluid back. I know they turn the hydrocele sack inside out so it can fill up again but it feels kind of like it did before surgery except bigger.. Do you recall what you're swelling felt like? Was it all hard or was some of it softer and feel thicker? It's not really squishy but almost meaty feeling
  • Posted

Can you please say how your case is now? Do you still feel that the testicle is stiched to the sac? How is the swelling? Is everything back to normal? 
    • Posted

The testicle was never sewed to the sac but it did have that feeling when it was swollen.. the swelling didn't go down on its own, I had to go back under the knife 2 months later because it never decreased... my DR still never explained why it swelled or why it wouldn't go down.. he had to cut open the area slightly (the bottom of the scrotum) and drain it then put a small rubber tube in for a week.. the procedure wasn't bad, about what a vasectomy is (from what I've been told).. the pain was never that bad and has pretty much disappeared over time. The testicle does feel a bit bigger and meatier than the other but that's normal I guess... from what my DR said, I'm the only person who's swollen like that in his 30 years of hydrocele procedures.. so wait it out, see your DR again if it has shown no change in two months, and see another DR if the original one won't drain it.. I'm still pretty sure that my situation is very uncommon. I hope this helps, hang in there and honestly do not stress over it, all that ever did was make it worse for me.. I'm the worse case scenario type so I stressed hard over this the entire time

• Posted

Thanks alot for your reply... I am more that 4 months post operation. I still have some swelling (large egg) but the thing that bothers me the most is that the testicle does not get to hang low. My surgeon also said that it is not attached to the sac but it feels strange, especially when it is hot, because it cannot get to hang low. My surgeon also said last month that it might get better with time and if it does not it is just a consequence of the surgery. 

Where I live one always has to go to the general physician and get a reference to the hospital or surgeon. Just did that, and I have to call tomorrow to get an appointment. But I want to talk to another surgeon than the one who made the surgery. 

• Posted

So I just had this done on Thursday. It is now Monday. I have extreme swelling in my testicles. I would say they they are 5 to 10 times the normal size. Bigger than a grapefruit. I have a dull throbbing pain in my right testicle in the middle. Did you experience any of this. I mean I cannot hardlly walk with them this size. they are banging on my legs and are very uncomfortable. It even feel like the back of my scrotum behind my right testicle is ripping. Any information would be appreciated. I am going to see the doctor tomorrow, but i am severly stressed over this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.