Question For You Prostate "Veterans"

Posted , 7 users are following.

My green light op was only a couple of weeks ago.

Can anyone shed some light on how long the rawness and inflamation of the bladder and urethra last and also the burning (in some cases) when you void?

Weeks? Months? What?

Tom 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Mine lasted 8 months with a lot of blood loss.
    • Posted

Have you asked why? The laser should have sealed off all of the blood vessels in the prostate. That is its advantage over TURP.
    • Posted

Hardly anyone does laser anymore. It did not turn out to be much of an advantage and retention returned 3 years later for 8 months then improved again by itself.
    • Posted

That is obviously not the general opinion. Can you link us to this fact in medical journals?
  • Posted

Whoever did your procedures! I was basically back to normal after my GL in 2006 by day three with just a few spots of blood at the start of urination.

When I had a later Thulmium/Holmium laser procedure three years ago I had a catheter in for just over week and during that time my urine was reddish but as soon as it was taken out it was crystal clear.

The urethra is the part that suffers most trauma from the instruments and being spongy absorbs blood.

• Posted

First two days a bit rough

Bleeding and clotting stopped with in 10 days.

Never had such a fascination with the toilet before,

Pain on  passing water then become only irritation for nearly a month.

After that frequency in front of the TV a nuisance.

Don''t know what else to say.

Regrets? None.

Nuisance value about 5 out of ten. 

Just something to work your way through with worry and some agro attached.

• Posted

After my HOLep op last summer, I passed blood for around a fortnight and the urethra was sensitive when starting to pee for another two or three weeks then all OK.
  • Posted

I had macro and microhaematuria for 7 months; leukocytes for 15 months. But physically no problem at all - I walked 4 miles the next day; went for a 6 week holiday 6 months later without a problem too.
    • Posted

I went to the races on day three walked two or three  miles each way to a hospital appointment on day four during a bus strike.

Aftr a month an ultrasound check showed minimal retention after voiding. I had no qualms about buying a ticket for a months bus travel round New Zealand on buses without toilets. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.