Questions...

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi!  Just came across this group and was very excited to find it.  Was diagnosed this week based on wearing a 24 hour heart monitor.  The cardiologist found 2 episodes, one in the afternoon at work, and one in the evening, where my heart went to 150 bpm for around 15 minutes. I did not have any symptoms, having no idea it had happened.

Last year I had a 6 hour heart racing event that led me to this doctor, but it was not diagnosed because I foolishly went to bed rather than to the ER, hoping it would go away, which it did.  Fast forward to last weeks monitor. I am 52 and the one a year ago was so far the first and last really noticable one that scared me.

I have a follow up stress test in a week, but after researching and reading discussions, I am not sure if those that have SVT a long time are on medication when they say they are coping, or if they are not on meds and doing alternate things to stop the effects when they occur.  I would like to not be on a prescription if I can avoid, and seeing as I am not noticing it happening for now, not sure if thats a good idea.  Will confirm with doctor, but if it is not life threatening and can be dealt with as it happens without meds I am hoping I can take this route.  Or if not try the heart ablation, although the doctor said it may come back at some point....

Has anyone gone thorugh a similar scenario?  Sorry the post is long and rambly.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Its all a trial and error Brian. No one will be the same. It may be harder for you as it sounds like you could have runs but are not symptomatic. Good n bad. If you could feel them you may be able to find triggers for example if you just drank a lot of caffeine or ate chocolate or something with msg. I try to stay away from things that cause my heart to speed up cuz when it does that it trips over itself ( I just really found a new trigger..captain crunch and not sure why lol but gets me every time ). I am 12 year post cardiac ablation. I was pretty sick n close to dying so cardiac ablation or death. I am way better post ablation but still frustrated at times at how debilitated this still makes me and am actively seeking out new cardiologist as mine moved away, for either meds or another ablation. Good luck...its prob a problem for life. Its definitely nice to have a support system for sure. I don't talk about with my FAM and most have forgotten I even have a problem but its there every heart beat or flutter and for me I feel everyone..beat and flutter
    • Posted

Thanks so much Cate for taking the time to respond!  Sorry your journey has been tough.  I appreicate your thoughts.  The captain crunch description would win the oddest trigger in my book!! My one and only crazy heart going wild event happened after eating at a large chinese buffet, and after seeing your note on MSG it could well have been a trigger.  I cut out caffeine a few years back drink wise, but I would not doubt chocolate causing something at some point..will endeavaor to reduce that as well. Hoping the stress test will help to deifne this better for me. Thanks again for your post!!  Sure appreciate it, and this site.
  • Posted

Hi Brian, sorry you have this to cope with this.I was diagnosed at 40, although looking back I probably had it since I was 15. Ihad a massive attack of heart racing 180ish for about 5 hours they managed to stop it in AandE with drugs, but when I went home it kept happening.They put me on beta blockers , said my heart was sound in every other way and left me to get on with it. The drugs helped but made me sluggish and when I had eptopic beats they felt so much worse.Two years later I was offered an ablation and decided to go for it as I was sick of feeling so awful. Unfortunately they tried for 3 hours to stimulate the heart to go into SVT but to no avail!! They told me to come off my drugs and get on with my life so I did. I still get attacks but mostly in bed at night, but I can stop them quickly by holding my nose and blowing out, coughing deeply,bearing down , drinking cold water fast, or running my wrists under cold water.These attacks only last max 15 mins about 8 times a year. I am now 54 and although I hate having it I won't let it ruin my life. I can't believe you can have an attack and not feel it though ! Is this common as I have never heard of it before? 

• Posted

Thanks so much Tina!  The only episode I felt was the insane one that first time, but the other two that the monitor recorded at 155 I had no idea was happening.  One at work on a conf. call and one laying in bed reading I guess according to the times the doctor said it happened. I rmember him saying something like you arent sensitve to your heart or something, but he did not seem to suggest it was outside the spectrum of what may/ may not happen during an episode. That first one though was crazy scary. I am so sorry anyone has to go through that, and thank you for the suggestions on ways to alleviate.  My biggest fear is the medication and that feeling you describe. Thank you so much for sharing your story. Truly appreciate it!!
    • Posted

Also, your ablation story is crazy as well!  Im bummed it didnt work for you.  Am happy though that you are coping!
    • Posted

Hi Tina I just wanted to say that when my heart kicked on it stayed going every 8th beat than 6,5,4,3 and then 2 beats for 4 months straight ..non stop but its weird cuz you mention thing like bearing down or coughing and like I said I am 12 years post ablation and those are the the things that cause my heart to skip beats. Also 100% of the time when I have to walk outside when its cold outside so its weird that yours would keep you from flutters or runs and it causes mine
    • Posted

That is strange Cate! I do sometimes get eptopic so when it's really cold too, and also when it's very windy!! Not very often though! 
  • Posted

Hi Brian, I've had SVT since I was 10 (68 now) but only had episodes every couple of years until 2-3 years ago when I had several episodes over a period of 2 months and spoke to my GP. I went through the whole gamut of wearing a monitor, activity test, letting an attack run its' course until it stopped spontaneously after 4 hours etc, and I'm now taking a low dose of Bisoprolol (3.75g per day) and haven't had an episode since. When I was describing my attacks and what I had been doing to control them my GP told me that, intuitively, I had been using the Valsalva technique. Have a look on the internet, it's well documented, and speak to your GP. Some of the other replies you've had describe it eg holding nose and blowing, although a less scary method involves massaging your carotid artery - works for me. If I'd still been having attacks only every couple of years I wouldn't have bothered with meds as they do have side effects - I'm fortunate in that the only one I experience is being aware of a slow heat beat, anything from 50-60 beats, from time to time. Mostly I don't notice it. I couldn't have ablation as my SVT has several focal points, but I have a neighbour who had RF ablation when he was 17, now 32, and totally cured.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.