Questions to ask Surgeon prior to surgery

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all,

I will be meeting with my Surgeon this week and want to be well prepared. This forum is a wonderful help. Would you all let me know the questions you asked that were beneficial, as well as the questions you wish you would have asked?

Many thanks!

Kristen

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi kristen

Your surgeon will tell you mostly everything you need to know you could ask if its a general anasthetic you are getting or a spinal and sedation. Or if you have a choice. I have had both hips replaced this year and l chose general as some people can wake if sedated during the op but you don't feel anything you just hear and l did not fancy that l just wanted it done and not to know or feel it until after. But some people prefer the spinal and sedation it up to you. Anyone on this forum will be able to help you with anything your not sure of it got me through my 2 hip replacements with the people on here's support and help and most of us are time served hippies. I have had my 2 new hips since february due to OA andvl suffered a year of pain before it. Its the best thing l have done.

As for your doctor he should cover everything you need to know there is nit much you can ask him that anyone on here would not be able to tell you either..

Good luck

Laura. Xx

• Posted

Hello Kristen:

The first thing I would ask the surgeon is what technique of hip replacement he/she does.

The answer to that question will determine the answers to many other questions.

How long can I expect to be in the hospital.  

How long rehab/physical therapy should be.

What type of post operation precautions will I have & for how long.

Where I had my 1st hip replacement, I had to go to a class that will answer many questions and give you tips on preparing your house.  I skipped the class for my 2nd hip replacement.

The people on here have a lot of knowledge and are very helpful.

I would bring a pad and paper or tablet with your questions.  It cant hurt to have a spouse/friend or relative with you when you meet with the surgeon.

Good Luck !!

• Posted

Thanks for your feedback Rich!

I will check to see if my HMO offers a prep class. I plan to have my questions typed and be in investigator role during our meeting. I just read that some of you hip warriors didn't do this surgery under general anesthesia - WOW!

• Posted

Your welcome.

My first THR, I had an anti-anxiety shot and it took awhile for me to be totally with it post operation.  This time I did not have the anit-anxiety shot, and had spinal shot (first time as well).  I liked it better without the anit-anxiety shot.  I was totally with it right after surgery.

I was able to hear background noises without the anit-anxiety shot, but, I didnt feel anything during the surgery.  I had no idea what I was hearing.

Have a great day !!!

• Posted

Hi Kristen: I knew what kind of procedure was going to be used both times, but the question I had wished I asked was what type of anesthesia. The nurse and anesthesiologist refused to give me a spinal with the first one because of multi-level spinal stenosis...The second time around though I was positive it would be general again because of that reason, but was surprised when a different anesthesiologists insisted on giving me the spinal anyways. I also wish I had asked more questions about the recovery process. Silly me I was thinking once the pain subsided I would be walking all over the place just like normal, but didn't realized until afterwards that isn't the case. That was very depressing coming to the reality that it was still going to be a while before I was back to myself. It does happen though and I am so happy with my results....Wishing you well....Barb

• Posted

Thanks Barbara,

The pain and limitations we have prior to surgery are more than enough to deal with, let alone the preparation for surgery/post open care! This forum has been a God send in helping me wrap my mind around everything. I also have an OTE that I serve with at mass each Sunday who has been with me on this journey. Deapite this, last evening was the first time I realized that some of you did a spinal during your THR surgery. There goes the freak meter😲

• Posted

mine was spinal with sedation....no way would I be awake for it. Guess some people have made that choice but not me....haha Would be a freak meter for me also....Barb
  • Posted

My question ....  "Tell me honestly, how long will it take me to recover fully?"

Probably best to ask about things you like to do - when can I swim (especially breast stroke), drive (especially if manual gears), dance, go on long flight etc.

• Posted

Hi Kristen,

What surgical approach does your surgeon use? How many times (experience is the #1 predictor of experience)?

How long is the wait list and if you are amenable can you be puthe on it)? How long to recover to be able to do x (insert top three activities that mean the most to you)?

What follow-up activities or services are available through the surgeon's office post-op? Does the surgeon provides scripts for physio, massage and/or Hydrotherapy?

What activity restrictions can you expect to 6 weeks, 12 weeks, etc.

Re anaesthetic choices- your surgeon should follow recs of the anaesthetic the. Be very open and as detailed as possible with the anaesthetic the so they can meet your hopes. I had a single with top up and was completelying out, but no unpleasant fog and nausea of the general. Finally, be prepared with a date you prefer if asked. I was asked for my 2nd one, and although I wanted it soon did not expect to have 10 days later offered.

As some else recommended - write down your questions. Some surgeons are good at ensuring you are satisfied before leaving. Others ... not to so much.

Good luck.

L

• Posted

Hi there

I am now 6.5 weeks post op and going great!  I took a long list of questions in with me!  I wanted to know: exact type of replacement hip he would use (ceramic, new polyethylene etc etc), what process (minimal invasive posterior, lateral or anterior), what physio support you get afterwards (I got 4 hydro and 3 gym based, but had to pay for the gym-based ones), make sure you get him to stress the hip precautions to you (different op proceedures have different precautions), I requested a general and in the end got a spinal, a general and an anti-emetic - woke up feeling great!!  Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.