Quetiapine and Exercise

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am currently doing a lot of exercise on Quetiapine as I did before I took it and am aware that the drug makes body temperature regulation more difficult in warmer weather. I am currently training for a 100km ultra marathon and am fine but worry that it may present a problem come race day and I am very keen to avoid this. How big a problem is temperature regulation in real terms on the drug? If big then I will come off it under supervision of my psychiatrist.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi KRMe,

ive just come across your post about this. Are you still a member of this forum? I've been wondering the same thing as you and was wondering what you have found out. Thanks.

• Posted

I never found anything out really so just carried on and hoped for the best.

I run around 50 - 85 mile weeks depending upon what I am doing and teach lots of HIIT classes every week plus PT sessions with clients and so far (touch wood!) no problems.

I am coming off quetiapiane for other reasons though.

• Posted

Thanks for getting back to me.  I am an ultra runner as well, and can not find any information on the web about running while taking this drug.  I know that this drug can cause rhabdomyolosis, which I was hospitalized for after running the Tahoe Rim Trail 50 mile, and hyperthermia, which I suffered during Dick Collins 50 mile.  I'm thinking of either getting of this drug or tapering for my races next year.

• Posted

Yes both conditons worry me too. You sound fairly high - risk having already shown a predisposition I would think. 

I am assuming you don't take NSAIDs as well? 

• Posted

NSAID's Very rarely, and never during a race.  Has it been hard coming off the quetiapine?  I don't know if I will taper before races, or ask my doctor if there is a comparable replacement without those side-effects. So far my doctor has not been much help with this.  I'm running Moab Red Hot in February, Lake Sonoma 50 in April, Quichsilver 100k in May, and Bighorn 100 in June, so I have to get this figured out. Thanks again KRMe.

• Posted

Yes, it's tough coming off it. Horrible each time the dose drops a little so we're going slowly - becasue of this I don't think tapering before a race seems very practicable. The docs wnated to put me on lithium but the idea of toxicity isn't very appealing and seeing as it's linked to dehydration would be a very real and dangerous prospect!

I have 45, 30, 145, 145, 130 and 45 to do next year too so a big year for me as well.

Best of luck; if anything occurs to me I will let you know.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.