Quetiapine and Mirtazapine

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi so im fairly new here but would really appreciate some advice.

Got referred to a phsyciatrist in Jan as my anxiety and depression wasnt getting any better, after being on sertraline for a few months.

Phsyciatrist prescribed me Quetiapielne 25mg at night and told me to keep taking my Sertraline 50mg in the morning. This seemed ok for the first week but the second week my mood dropped and my anxiety came back with a vengance.

Saw her again on monday and she decided to do a switch around and told me to take Quetiapine in the morning and Mirtazapine at night (completely stop the sertraline). Jesus christ the past 3 days ive been completely sedated, and cant even function.

Called her today and she said to take the Quetiapine at 7pm and the Mirtazapine half an hour before bed.

I guess what im trying to say is has anyone tried this combination before. Apparently the quetiapine is for my anxiety and the mirtazapine is for my depression. Im also stressing at the fact my appetite has increased a lot in two days. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Why do these dr keep prescribing this drug for all the wrong reasons it's for bi polar disorder.  It makes you sleepy, dizzy, hungry, and pretty much that's it.  I have never heard of mirtazapine what was that supposed to do for you?  Read up on the side effects of the drugs you are taking as far as I know quetapine does nothing for depression, or anxiety.  If you want more info Google quetapine suid for over 500 underdog million for false claims.  Know what your taking and the side effects always.

• Posted

Emma,

Both of these medications can make you drowsy so taking either of them in the morning isn't a good idea and definitely take them closer to bedtime.

Mirtazapine is for depression, anxiety and insomnia and Quetiapine i believe can also be used for all three. I believe also that both medications can increase your appetite with Mirtazapine making you want to eat more carbs. I would just say to keep monitoring how you feel on both as everyone is different and discuss any issues you may have with your doctor. Good luck to you and hope this helps some.

• Posted

Thanks all for your comments. Ive been diagnosed with generalised anxiety disorder with traits of OCD which has led to some depression. The Pschy thinks its my anxiety which has caused me to feel depressed. Shes advised me to stop taking the Quietiapine and just take the Mirtazapine before bed as both together is causing over sedation. Will update in a few days but thank you all so much for the comments and advice.
  • Posted

What do you think is causing your anxiety if you don't mind me asking Emma?

• Posted

Not really sure to be honest ive been an anxious person all my life but after a few things happening last year, this time its just never got better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.