quick query

Posted , 4 users are following.

i rang dwp up today to ask if they recived my servere disabilty form and they said they cant acees my files cause me claim has gone to clerical im claming esa assement rate wat does it mean byur claim gone to clerical does it mean they stoping me esa i worried nowaprite answer back if possible

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi,

I wouldn't get too upset. "Gone to clerical" is probably their code for, can't be arsed, or , don't ring me on Friday.

You, and I, are not at all important to them.

Leave them to it just don't wind yourself up trying to second guess what they mean.

Mike.

• Posted

Hi Ross it sounds like someone is dealing with your SDP claim and the call centre operative can't give out any information until this is processed. Try again next Tuesday/Wednesday

• Posted

okay hope so always get worried when it comes to dwp thanks for ur reply both
  • Posted

Clerical just means that instead of being done over the phone like most claims,  for some reason it couldn't be done that way.  This will happen for instance if there is an old claim on your  which hasn't yet been taken off the computer..  This does happen as no system is perfect.   It is going through normally and they will be able to access it as soon as it is put on the system. 

It certainly doesn't mean  'can't be arsed, or , don't ring me on Friday' as Mike has said!   x

I used to work for the DWP, 

• Posted

Hi,

It amazes me when ex dwp employees reply to negative dwp posts.

I was caught up in dwp system.

For 5 months they kept telling me to stop pestering them, give them time, everything is under control.

It was only when I put in a complaint that a manager rang me and admitted that all my files had been lost months before. I wasn't on the system.

Yet these operators had assured me continuously that they were looking at my records.

5 months without benefits, begging and borrowing, I used to cry down the phone and each time I rang up I was a quivering jelly.

They pushed me to the very brink. So don't tell me dwp can't be arsed, I know from very bitter experience that for every person who is dedicated to the job, there are also those that are not.

Mike.

• Posted

I was merely explaining to the customer what 'clerical' means for reassurance.   Clerical is a specific term used when forms are completely manually instead of being done over the phone and put straight onto the computer system.   I was correct in what I said as it doesn't mean what you claim it does. 

• Posted

Meant 'poster'  not customer. 

• Posted

Hi,

I obviously misunderstood what the customer, sorry poster, was enquiring.

I read it as asking what"gone to clerical" meant in dwp speak. Having terrible dealings with the dwp I gave my opinion, interpretation, of the question as I read it.

If I had realised the customer, sorry poster, was enquiring about the true meaning of the word clerical then I would have looked it up in the dictionary before responding.

My apologies,

Mike.

• Posted

Mike don't get me wrong please.  I am not by any means defending the DWP but was just explaining to the poster based on what she was told. 

I worked there long enough to hear some awful stories,  single parents without a penny to feed their kids with their forms being lost for the 3rd/4th time.  I took calls from suicidal folk who were being treated abomimably like you and I really felt for them.  It used to get me very upset but I always did my best to help them and so did the vast majority of the staff. 

My sister was a manager there for years and she often had to act as an unpaid 'social worker'.  She told me this story of a young lad always going in with a much older man.  She realised the young man had learning difficulties and she was worried he was being abused.  She went out on a limb to get him help and managed to get him officially  classed as a 'vulnerable' person who was entitled to a lot more help because of this.

The front line staff are just cogs in a wheel,  in a system which is completely dysfunctional and not fit for purpose like it isn't now.   I used to have people who would get angry with me about the system and would expect me to be able to change it.  All I could do was explain it to them calmly while wanting to shout 'Yes you are completely right - the system is an arse'.  I couldn't because I would have lost my job. 

I went out of my way to help (and so did my colleagues) but was only a pleb so it was severely limited.   Sometimes when I did I was just abused for it anyway, so I had to stop caring so much for self protection.   It's the system which is f......d not the poor saps on the front line.   x

• Posted

Hi,

I have posted many times, and am one of the first to admit that the people on dwp front line do a difficult job, one which I certainly couldn't do.

But, what a shame that the very people the public are allowed to talk to directly at dwp, are only the ears of the system.

Respect for all the people who are the front line of the dwp, and try their best to work in a system that doesn't work.

Mike.

• Posted

Fair point Mike.  It's the same all over - the ones who make the rules and the system hide behind a multitude of front people so they can't be got at.  They are cowards every last one of them. 

My job (apart from 3 months in the jobcentre) wasn't difficult in that sense and we didn't hear the vast majority of the terrible stories thank goodness.  I spent all day every day in the contact centre with a head set on taking benefit claims and reading a script from the computer.  All our calls were recorded and you would be pulled up if you ever tried to stray out of your area.  There was someone at my place who was told off because they said to someone with an autistic daughter 'I emphasise coz I have an autistic daughter too'.  

We were also on targets too and every 2 weeks would have a meeting with our line manager where they would point out where we didn't meet them.  We were told to concentrate on those areas now but to do so meant not reaching the other targets.  And so on endlessly.   The overall manager there told me the targets were set deliberately high to 'encourage us to work harder'.  The stress was a killer.   Around 10% of employees did meet them - I was around the middle.  The bottom 20% were threatened with more training and disciplinary action if they didn't improve.   Horrible atmosphere to work in.   I lasted 5 and a half years and my depression came back full force and I still haven't got back to pre DWP today. 

Also did you know that anyone taking over 7 days a year sick on a rolling period would get an official warning?  If it was a one off like cancer or breaking your leg that was ok,  but not for colds,  flu,  chest infections,  depression or anything else which could recur.  I also have copd (only moderate) but it was 2 severe chest infections back to back which finished me off and I was dismissed. 

Better stop now as it's making me very agitated even thinking about it. 

Hope you are ok at the moment Mike.  Take care Bev x

• Posted

Hi Bev,

I am okay at the moment thanks, keep taking the tablets.

I absolutely get what you, and other ex dwp workers say., you have /had a job to do and tried to do it best you could.

But here's the thing:

You were all working to unreachable targets, pushed to the limit, and beyond. You were being treat as severely as the claimants. This went on, still goes on today, and then some.

The dwp are supposed to be there for the most vulnerable people in the country. About 60% of refused claims are granted at appeal courts.

How is this allowed to continue ?????

Mike.

• Posted

Hi Mike.  Because it's what this Govt. are trying to do to save money,  and continue their idealogical attack against the poor and those on benefits.   They know but just don't care.  x

• Posted

Hi,

Yes, but it's their own making, this situation of disabled people being unable to work.

Question:How do we get disabled people to work?

Answer: First, let's close down Remploy, okay it was set up to give jobs to people with disabilities but it's not making enough money.Second, let's make it more difficult for disabled people to find work, make it more difficult to get help with leasing a car, they can always catch an overcrowded bus or train.

Thirdly, let's take back 500 mobility cars a week, that will be a real help.

I know being disabled makes me biased (no longer working age), but I cannot think of anything positive that's been done to help the disabled, with transport problems, to get to work.

I'm sure I will be notified differently but that's my own personal view of the situation.

Mike.

• Posted

That's to say nothing of employers who would take on a disabled employee in the first place! x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.