Quitting coffee, anxiety

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I've recently started suffering from anxiety. I am trying to eliminate coffee from my diet but every time I try to start backing off coffee, my depression kicks up. Any recommendations? Should I just slowly ease off of it?

Thanks

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

globus

Make it weaker and weeker each time you make a batch or weaken it with milk more and more.

In the USA ??

BOB

• Posted

Hi globus,

the depression makes sense. you have been wired for as long as you were on caffein and you body needs time to adjust to the shock.  i quit caffien and sugar at the same time, but it was the 7 day migraine that almost killed me. 

my recommendation:

REST as much as possible.

eat well, cut out ALL junk food.

increase dark green veggies at each meal

eat quality protein at each meal

if you must eat sweets, make it a small amount of fruit  (half cup) and always eat it with nuts or seeds. 

take a comfortably paced walk every morning and every afternoon. 

be kind to yourself. 

Your body is going though a very diffecult withdrawl, give it nurturing as if it were your own child going through it. 

the depression will lift . . . give it time.

I've stopped caffein many times, it was harder to quit then smoking. Stopping smoking was easy in comparison to stopping caffien, but is doable smile

Best of luck!

• Posted

I just recently went thru something similar.. I was having

Increased heart palpitations and worsening anxiety so

My doctor suggested giving up caffeine.. I love coffee so he recommended to mix 1/2 decaf and 1/2 regular coffee

For one week and then decreasing to 1/4 regular coffee

And 3/4 decaf for a week and then begin just decaf the 3rd

Week... Believe it or not this really worked for me.

My next hurdle is giving up sugar.. Baby steps lol

I know this may not work for everyone but I hope it

Helps you..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.