Quitting Paxil cold turkey after 4 weeks?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello everyone, about 4 weeks ago I ended up in the Hospital due to some severe panic attacks I was experiencing due to my family problems and school. While at the Hospital the doctor I saw recommended I get on Paxil for a month and see how I do, so he started me on 10mg's the first week and to increase it till 40 mg's the fourth week. Well it's been 4 weeks now and I feel absolutley terrible with severe depression. I saw my doc today and he recommended a 2 week taper decreasing the does every couple days and said I should be fine. My question is, is it okay to just quit cold turkey since it's only been 4 weeks or should I attempt what he said or a different method? I only want to quit cold turkey due to how horrible this medication makes me feel, thank you for your time.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Do not quit cold turkey. I tried quiting cold turkey and I had some of the worst panic and anxiety until I took another one and some Seroquel to calm me down. You need to taper it slowly. A week at a time of less, like a week of 300 and a week of 20. Maybe even taper 5mg intervals. 10mg is a good amount for me for my anxiety and I'm 5'10 192 "b male that works out 5nights a week. 40 is a lot to just jump into in a month. Just my experience, hope it helps

• Posted

A week of 30, then a week of 20 and so on.
    • Posted

Thank you Jeremy, my question is how long were taking the medicine before  you tapered off? I'm wondering because I've only been taking it 4 weeks and don't know if the duration would lessen the blow of withdrawls

• Posted

No my friend it is never  OK to just quit cold turkey with any drug.  Severe withdrawal side effects can occur.  Like your doc said it should be a slow tapering off.  I would taper off even slower than he recommened. Listen to your body's reactions while you are tapering. Since you are allredy at a 40 mg/per day dose, perhaps start at 30 mgs per day  for a week(thats just a suggestion)  , then next week go down to 20 mg/per day, then following week, 10 mgs.  Then 5 mg/ for a few days...etc...before finally stopping.......this is only a suggetion since I am not a health care professional.  I do have edperience on tapering off meds though, I have done so recently and it has worked for me......I did taper greadually as I had taken gabapentin for 4 years and it took me 4 months to keeep gradually reducing my dose.....even then I still had some side effects but happily now I am off of it....so It can be done ...but please dont cold turkey it...good luck

• Posted

Okay jim I think I'm going to go with the two week taper he recommended orginally, i've noticed on another site it stated that if a patient has been taking it less than 8 weeks than a week or 2 week taper should suffice

• Posted

Yeah. just however it works for you. Then you just adjust accordingly.

Much Luck.   Jim

• Posted

I am also in a similar situation. I took Paxil cr 12.5 mg for three weeks and it made me so sick I had to stop. My dr told me I could just stop. He put me on 10 mg of lexapro. Do you think I will have withdrawals? My dr said no bc I wAs on such a low dose for a short period of time. Thanks!
    • Posted

You could have some , but prob. not from such a low  dose for a short time....keep a watch and adjust accordingly.....good luck.
  • Posted

Hi fleas,

go with your doctor's instructions or you could feel a lot worse.

• Posted

So I thought I should update now that its been a week, I went with my gut and went cold turkey, I wouldn't recommend this method to anyone but I am really really stubborn. The worst side effect I experienced were the brain zaps but were mild at worst with some dizziness, along with nightmares and night sweats but it's nothing I couldn't soldier through, the withdrawl has subsided and I'm feeling so much better!

• Posted

Hi Fleas,

I am  glad to know you are ok.You certainly are brave that is for sure.confused

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.