RA & back/hip issues

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi All,

I was diagnosed with RA a year ago. I've also had Spondylolesthesis, Spinal Stenosis, Sciatica and every other issue you can think of with my lower back and hips for almost 2 decades. For the past week, my Spondy and sciatica seem to be rearing their ugly heads again. Is this just part of my back problem (which hasn't been real bad for about 3 years) or do you think an RA flare can compound these other issues?

Also, I've had neck issues too lately with both arms having a nerve-like pain with tingling and numbness down the arms to the fingers. Does anyone else deal with this? I'm going to visit a friend cross country on Tuesday for a week and these recent pains are making me nervous for a long plane ride. Any recommendations on how to keep from cramping up and getting sore on the flight? Thanks in advance! Oh, and P.S., I'm currently taking 20mg of Leflunomide (the MTX didn't work for me) along with Rx strength folic acid, Indomethicin (a prescription anti inflammatory), Norco, Soma, Fish Oil, Tumeric with Curcumin and Vit D3. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi S, unfortunately I haven't figured out how to deal with AS induced back pain and RA in general. My attitude of ignoring the pain and living "fully" on painkillers and biological and anti inflammatory is not always working, so.. As for the flights, I have numbness in legs, hands and severe pain in the back on long flights - that would be AS speaking :-( - my solution is to move on the flight as much as I can, to always book aisle seats and to stretch (in the restroom it's less awkward then down the aisle :-) ) taking painkillers prior to the flight always helps too; alternatively you may want to take a sleeping pill but make sure that you will take something light that will enable you to function fully upon arrival. It won't make the numbness/pain go away but you will cope with these only at the end and will have some energy after a nap. Loose dressing helps too - you really don't want to wear tight jeans or similar with back pain.. Good luck. I hope that you will feel better by the flight time and that you won't face much inconvenience. A.
    • Posted

Thanks for the suggestinos, A! I do tend to take the Norco pre-pain when I know it is going to come and it does help, but my body is so used to it now that it doesn't help but for a couple of hours at a time. Plus, I rarely take a whole pill at one time. I usually take half and then another half 2-3 hours later. A whole pill makes me a little too edgy. And I hate flying so I don't need more edginess. haha

I'll definitely wear comfortable, loose clothing. I hadn't really thought about it until you mentioned it, so thanks!

I did manage to book mostly all aisle seats and I have 2 stops on the way to my destination and 2 on the way back so at least I can get up and walk around. 

I've just been dealing with the back and hip stuff a lot more the past week and I don't know if it's separate, or part of the RA. Either way, it all sucks. Sorry for your AS and RA. Sometimes it seems so unfair. I've noticed that most of us with RA tend to have, or end up getting, more and more other issues. Thanks again!

• Posted

Also, I've had neck issues too lately with both arms having a nerve-like pain with tingling and numbness down the arms to the fingers

I've had RA for one year now (shoulder) and the last flare started experiencing the tingling and numbness in my arms and hands. Also electric like pains shooting throught them. My doc ordered an EMG and determined it was not a nerve problem and it was suggested I had tendonitis due to RA. The next visit the doc informed me that is was not tendonitis and he was thinking "mixed connection"  I was put on one more pill of plaqineil a day and go back in 4 wks. I've had this numbness, tingling, aching and burning since July and I think it is slowly going away but it's not gone yet. He also mentioned schlerderma and something else but ruled them out due to blood tests.

• Posted

Hi there,

I am having similar symptoms with hip, lower back and sciatica issues.  Down right driving me nuts.  I had an injection into my left groin three weeks ago and it has helped significanlty with my hip and sciatica pain.  That being said, my doctors feel that the pain was in fact from rhumatoid.  I would suggest loose clothing as previously mentioned, comfortable shoes, walking and stretching when available during flight.  I made frequent trips to the restroom, it was hard to stretch in there but I made it work on my last flight and I had enough muscle rub on that the entire flight probably could have smelled me.  lol  It helped though.  Best of luck to you and great for you not allowing your RA to stop you from your travels.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.