radiation of thyroid?

Posted , 15 users are following.

I was wondering if anyone has had gone through the radiation procedure for removing the thyroid? I was diagnosed when I was 15, and am currently 22. I have been told that radiation is the best way to go. However, I have a lot of reservations about it. If anyone has gone through this, I would appreciate an honest answer. Thanks!

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have not gone through it.  I have heard from others that they never feel very good on the replacement Levothyroxine.  Apparently some people do well, however.  

I refused RAI then a year later it came out that those who have had RAI are at a higher risk for thyroid eye disease.  I already have double vision so they stopped recommending the RAI for me. 

After about 2-3 years on Methimazole, I went into remission, so I have my thyroid and don't have to take any thyroid medication at this time.

• Posted

That makes sense. I have heard the same thing, though doctors are pretty insisting where I am from. 
    • Posted

Yes the doctors were very insistant here, too.  But I simply flatly refused.  They can't make you do anything if you refuse.  Or you can simply delay deciding.  Do you know the results of your last blood test?
    • Posted

Hi everyone

I am new to this forum so would be grateful if you would kindly bear with me.

I have been diagnosed with subclinical hyperthyroidism with a TSH of 0.16, T4 of 16.5 TPOAs are less than 33.

I am unsure if antibodies should be there in the first place!

I have been advised to have RAI as I have multiple nodules on my goitre. I would welcome any advisce, support as I feel very wary of RAI yet I am suffering a great deal of distress due to the harrowing signs and

symptoms especially those of acute anxiety, depression, panic attacks, demotivation, painful joints and muscles.

I also have osteoporosis and several weeks ago had some atrial fibrillation. I just want to improve my quality of life .

Thank you for reading this and I would be forever grateful for your kind support and help.

Lucy

• Posted

Hi, I had RAI treatment in July, it was quick, painless and had worked by September and am now on levothyroxine. It's taking a while to get the dosage right but am being monitored with regular blood tests. No adverse reactions to tablets except weight gain, which will hopefully sort itself out when get dosage right.
    • Posted

You are lucky and long may it continue for you.  Many find Levothyroxine doesnt ease their hypothyroid symtpoms adequately; you weight gain may be part of this.  Perhaps you were very thin and can afford some increase but if this continues there are alternatives which work better for some hypothyroids.  T3 added to your T4 may help.  T3 alone.  Or another alternative is NDT.  Educate yourself about these if you find any problems with your current situation.
    • Posted

Has the treatment worked well for , and did u pu weight on as i am very nervous by reading some furoms saying that radio iodine should be our last option and all that ,
  • Posted

I have not had radiation but know people who have and they struggle more following radiation not least because they are not properly or adequately treated with thyroid hormone replacement.

It is difficut to advise you since we are not suffering your symptoms but there are alternatives.  Years ago large doses of Iodine were given, methimazole is another treatment.  the benefit is you keep your thyroid; once it is radiated that it is!

Educate yourself and think carefully.  If necessary keep reviewing your symptoms; it is always an option but try everything else as alternatives firstly.

Best of luck.

• Posted

Yes i agree, there's no going back! I take 10mg carbimazole daily for hyperthyroidism and have heard  about taking an iodine supplement but wasn't sure if that's recommended for hyper or just hypo. I agree the need to research alternatives too, one supplement i do take helps to absorb heavy metals.  I'm convinced chemicals are part of the problem. Think positive!
  • Posted

Hi, I've just had radioidine therapy. ..6 weeks ago..few side effects such as nausea and neck still aches a little. .will hsve blood tests in two weeks to see how well it's working. .but overall I feel a lot better!

• Posted

Hi I am going to have the radio iodine tablet next week , I just wanted to no did everything go well for u , how r u feeling now
    • Posted

I had the radio iodine treatment in 2006 and have never felt good since, if i could go back i would never have had it done it has totally messed up my life i can't get my levels right and feel bad all the time. I waesn't given any alternatives or i wouldhnj't have haqd it done because once its done you can't undo it
  • Posted

Hi. I am having radiation week Thursday. I am a little nervous but thought it was the best way to go even though I have been diagnosed with graves. They can't control it with meds so apart from surgery this was my only way. So fingers crossed all goes well.
    • Posted

Hi don't worry too much you simply pop a pill and take precautions about being around people for a few days..hopefully you won't have any side effects. .good luck!
    • Posted

Hi carol, had my treatment yesterday, touch wood I feel fine just a little tires as I felt very dehydrated during the night so was up all night drinking and peeing lol. Fingers crossed all works well, I had to have an injection to make sure it was working then had the drink which was bout 20ml at a guess. Anyway thanks for the support. 
    • Posted

Glad all went well, I have had a slightly aching neck but nothing too bad..I think people get a little over critical of this procedure. . It seems to be doing the job...feeling much better..hope it does the same for you
    • Posted

How has the treatment gone for you has it made u better or has ur symptoms gone worse
    • Posted

also it has really messed up my eyes do more reasearch before you commit

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.