Radiation risks with PAE

Posted , 11 users are following.

I have been trying to decide whether it best I have PAE or Urolift to help with my BPH symptoms (60g prostate, urinary retention, nocturia) I had almost decided on PAE after reading so many positive reviews, but now I am concerned about the levels of radiation, because over the past 10 years i have had countless CT's (about 30) due to various health issues.

I have been unable to find the exact amount of radiation involved with PAE, but I believe the procedure is done with fluoroscopy which takes in excess of 2 hours, in addition to the initial angiogram.

A standard chest CT is 7mSv, and I have read that a lengthy fluoroscope is in excess of 50 mSv.  For a 2 hour+ procedure, it may well be much more than 50mSv I would imagine.  That is a lot of radiation!

Anyone care to comment on the radiation risks or otherwise of PAE?

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Like you I'm trying to decide between the two. My insurance company has already pre-approved me for Urolift (for a cost of around $8000). They told me PAE has been FDA approved, and will get back to me soon about whether or not they'll cover PAE.

Dan

• Posted

Hello Dan. I just had my first visit with a new Urologist. I am considering a Urolift only because it is covered by my insurance company (Aetna). But I prefer the idea of a PAE procedure FIRST because it attacks the real issue of our prostate problems in the first place, and that is a swollen prostate. But when I called Aetna a couple of months ago they could not find the code numbers for PAE or have even heard of the procedure. I live in Southern New Jersey. You mentioned that PAE has been FDA approved. Where do you live, in the USA or another country? I am scheduled Sept 11th for a Urolift Cystoscopy test in preperation for a possible Urolift. I will follow the process for Urolift but would love to hear any inurance info or approval from PAE from you before I actually go forward with the Urolift. Any help or info would be greatly appriciated. Thanks. Peter 
    • Posted

I'm in the UK, but am an American on medical insurance policy based in the US. My contact at the insurance company told me PAE was FDA approved, but he might have been mistaken. He'll let me know next week, supposedly, if they'd cover it.

However, I think I'm now leaning toward Urolift in any case. There are two good studies done showing its efficacy and durability. I'm not aware of any such completed studies for PAE. PAE studies are taking place right now, in the US, UK, etc. That, of course, is because it's newer. Per one study: "At one month after treatment, 86% of UroLift patients would recommend the procedure to a friend or relative whereas only 73% of TURP patients would recommend the procedure." Having said that, if PAE were offered conveniently nearby and covered, I might try it.

If you want, I could send you my request for "pre-determination" for Urolift to my company, which they approved. Just send me a private email (click on the envelope).

Dan

• Posted

Thanks for your info Dan. I have a pretty good insurance plan with Aetna. When I called them Friday to confirm coverage for Urolift they clearly specified that it is covered and that I do not need a referral or pre-certification. So I'm good there. Will procede with a few tests first before I make my final okay as to whether I will have this done or not. I just would have prefered PAE and didn't want to have 4 pins inbedded into my uretha and then find a year down the road that PAE is finally covered by insurance. My Urologist says that the pins cannot be removed. He has snipped the heads off to perform a TURP for someone who apparently had Urolift but wasn't helped by Urolift. So he can snip the pin heads off but the pin themselves remain forever. Man, it would be nice to be 17 years old again!
    • Posted

Peter...I'm scheduled for the PSA with Dr. Bagla at the Inova hospital, Alexandria, VA.  The procedure is approved by Blue Cross.  To my knowledge, other locations such as Northwestern in Chicago and UNC, Charlotte are still in clinical trial.  I believe the difference may be an FDA approved robotic guided catheter that the Inova hospitals have invested capital $ acquiring. Good luck with your procedure or with contacting Dr. Sandeep Bagla.  
    • Posted

UNC Chapel Hill is in clinical trial still where the procedure is free if you qualify, but they are also doing PAE outside of the trial. I had mine done as part of the trial 5 months ago and the results have been amazing.
    • Posted

Hi Peter,

From reading these forums PAE seems to be a preferable procedure to urolift both in terms of outcomes and long term side effects.  I also have Aetna and so far they have denied it.  I think it is just a matter of time until they cover it but we may be a bit too early.  (I'm not sure when it was approved by FDA).  I'm probably going to go forward with the PAE without coverage.

• Posted

Michael, I spoke to the office girl of Dr. Bagla many months ago. Helpful but didn't believe my insurance would cover PAE. I will keep turning over all rocks until I say yes to Urolift or PAE. Thanks for info on UNC, Charlotte.
    • Posted

Arlington, I agree with you about prefering PAE and a matter of time before it is covered. The office lady from Dr. Bagla in Alexandria, VA said if interested in coming down for the procedure I should have about $12,000 in my back pocket. Uh, not today, lol. I wish you success in you quest for prostate relief!
    • Posted

I do wonder about PAE vs Urolift. What do you all think of these 3 factors:

EFFICACY:  More evidence for Urolift (2 solid studies for Urolift; no completed studies yet on PAE efficacy). In these forums, both procedures have fans and those who weren't helped much.

RECOVERY:  seems PAE easier (but after 2-3 days, how much does it matter?)

POTENTIAL LATER SIDE EFFECTS:  ??? 4 stints in one's body vs lots of tiny balls in one's blood vessels.

Dan

• Posted

Hello Dan.  I have been reading your post and I just would like to say that what ever procedure you decide on get as much information as you can  Don't know to much about PAE. Just what I have red and the mem that I have talked too.  It does not always work it depends on your bodyand it takes up to 3 hours.  You may go home or they may keep you.  You will also have a catheter put in to help you me.  It's all on how wrll your body heal. I would be afraid of blood clogs from all the tiny partical to stop the blood flow to the prostate.  With my problem I had the Urolift.  My prostate was stoping me from peeing I also have a stricture just before the prostate so I had to forced it thru both.  The urolift only to about 15 minutes.  Went in at 7:15AM Had it done at 9AM and I was  home about 10:30AM  Wih a urolift they don't put in a catheter but I pick to have one.  I have a problem peeing on demand so I felt it was best.  I never had one before. Had more pain from that then anything.  2 days it was out. Some stinging the first 24 hours but was peeing normal by friday.  Had the procedue done on Monday.  Having the catheter in was the best thing for me.  I have read on this post about men that have had the urolift done that there doctor did not use a catheter after and within 12 they had to go back and have a catheter put in because they could not pee.  I would ready the doctor put the catheter in when I'm out then have to come back.  It sametime and money.  My urologist told me that it is up to the patient and there doctor to see whats best  After a week  I was off all meds peeing great and sleepthe night.  I had 4 implants put in and dn't feel them at all.  They are very strong and being that the research is only 7 years old none of the men that had it done years ago have had any problem with them.  Hope I helped some  Take care  Ken
    • Posted

You left out radiation exposure and contrast dyes on the negative side of PAE
  • Posted

Mal7896,

i would speak peak to a Radiologist who performs PAE to get a definitive answer to your question. Speculation here would be just that. I can tell you that I had a PAE in April and it has been the most positive life changing thing I have ever done. Unfortunately I can not tell you what was going on during the procedure. It did take about two hours, was painless, but I was in the twilight zone during the procedure. I was awake so I am told, but not aware of anything happening or of the time involved.

• Posted

I have emailed the Doctor who performs PAE here, asking if he can advise (in mSv's)
    • Posted

Thanks Mal.  An exact amount would be very helpful!
    • Posted

Havent had a reply yet, but when I do will let you know

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.