Radio Therapy - DVT

Posted , 4 users are following.

I completed RT 18 months ago. On 8th August 2015, diagnosed with DVT. My GP tells me this could be the result of Prostate Cancer & RT

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi, supercargo,Excuse my ignorance but what's DVT?
    • Posted

Hi Norma.

There is a certain amount of guesswork. She went through my medical records, and came up with the conclusion, as she was aware that DVT due to Prostate Cancer / RT had been brought up at medical conferences.

I was surprised myself - hence the post.

I will follow up, and let you know.

• Posted

Thanks for that Supercargo,and do keep us in touch.

My hubby's got about 10 radiotherapy sessions left. Touch wood so far he's had no adverse effect,but he has come out in a itchy rash,they say it's not theRT so we're putting it down to the change in diet,his immune systems probably low.

Hope things work out for you,and it's just a false alarm.

• Posted

Hi Norma

See reply from sheila91262 on DVT thread. Maybe caused by thicker blood rather than RT.

• Posted

Did you have adjuvant hormone therapy because DVT is a known side effect of Bicalutamide (Casodex)? If so, the hormone therapy is a far more likely culprit than radiation therapy.
    • Posted

Hi David

Thanks for that. My Hormone Therapy was with Zoladex which I completed 2 years last week.

So many opinions from the Medical profession it is quite confusing. These Forums are a great benifit in advising opinions and experience.

• Posted

I have very dry skin as a result of RT. This agrevated mild dermoliposclerosis and is related to DVT. Treated some abcesses and now OK but keeping up with moisturisers. I would not be surprised if RT is involved. It has clearly had systemic effects on me even though the treatment was directed to the Prostate.

With best wishes..

• Posted

Hi george,That's really interesting,because my hubby is about 10sessions short of the finishing line with RT,and he has come out in an itchy rash,on his chest,under his arms,and the creases in his arms,when he asked if it was due to the RT they told him no.

what do you suggest he puts on it,and why would he have it any ideas?

I'd be very grateful of any suggestions you've got.

• Posted

Sorry georgeGG,The post I sent to supercargo was meant for you.

i don't know how that happened.

• Posted

I got dryskin all over but no itch. Lips dissapeared and sunken cheeks. the shrunken skin roud the lower leg push the calmuscle up to the knee. The non latin name is upside-down-changpagn- bottle-leg . I went to the doctor because I kept getting itchy places like insect bites (in February!) and when I scratched what started as  twin "bites" each 2mm across gradually became itchy sores of about 25mm across and very difficult to clear. My doctor prescribed a strong seeroid cream once daily and Doublebase moisturising gel twice daily. I changed the type of socks I use so that there is no compression round the lower leg. I also continue to use the Gel on lower legs, hands, upper arms and face. That is helping. My lips have slowly reappeared. Cheeks are still hollow.

I hope this helps, with best wishes

• Posted

Thank you for your post georgeGG,but we think we've got to the bottom of my hubby's itchy rash.   We believe he may be allergic to the Movicol you have to drink every night ,while your having the RT treatment. 

Reading the leaflet it says you could have a dry skin itchy rash,so he is going to mention it to the nurse,when he goes for his treatment today.

But thank you again for replying.    

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.