radioiodine uptake vs Technetium-99

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello

I've put off my I 131 thyroid scan. After researching, I've found that I 123 contains far less radiation than 131 and per NIH is a perferred method of the two. However, Technetium-99m seems to be easier and does not organify as 131 & 123 and has a much shorter half-life.

Doc is looking for reasons for low TSH with no symptoms other than nodules for over 10 years.  ( I will see him this Tuesday but want to know all my options )

I'd like to gather opinions and experiences from anyone who has info on Technetium-99m as I believe I would prefer that test.  Supposeded there is no week long diet exceptions - 4 hours of fasting prior to test and it's supposedly faster and just as efficient.

Please post info/feedback/advice.

Thank you :-)

Jeannie

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I think the more important question here is to ask your doc why is he/she has ordered this test. Apparently, the test shows either more or less uptake of the tracer than normal in the thyroid gland. If hyperthyroidism is present, abnormal test results may mean certain conditions are present:

-a low uptake of tracer by the thyroid gland may mean that hyperthyroidism is caused by inflammation of the thyroid gland (thyroiditis), taking too much thyroid medicine, or another rare condition.

-A high uptake of tracer spread evenly in the thyroid gland may mean that hyperthyroidism is caused by autoimmune conditions such as Graves' disease.

Graves disease can be confirmed by a blood test checking for thyroid antibodies.  

I know for myself, I refused a second RAIU scan with a new Endo because I did not feel it was necessary.  My first Endo had done everything that confirmed I had Graves disease so I did not see the necessity of exposing myself to another test.  

I would have this discussion with my doc and ask for the antibody tests first.  If they are not confirmative of an autoimmune disease, then I might think of having the RAIU.  See what he/she says about why they are ordering it.  

• Posted

I have TPO and TSI antibodies. 

TSI <140 .... mine is 195

TPab <9 .....mine is  107

FREE T4 0.80-1.90 ...1.60

TOTAL T4 4.5-12.5 ...10.2

T3,TOTAL 76-181 ....142

T3,FREE 2.3-4.2 ......4.1

TSH 0.40-5.00      <0.004 

I'll be seeing a naturopath as soon as I can.  Would you know the proper dose for Bugleweed and acetyl L-Carnitine to raise TSH and stop antibodies?

He said he was ordering the test to see why my TSH is so low. I have nodules. He said maybe hypo turned hyper or inflamation or toxic nodule or graves. 

• Posted

My experience was using the supplements along with a low dose of meds so I did not have the experience of using supplements alone.  I do know that because Acetyl-L-Carnitine crosses the blood-brain barrier, it will carry anything else you take like prescribed meds into the cell nucleus and that is why it is very difficult for most hyper patients to use it without going HYPO very quickly.  Regular L-Carnitine is more stable.  With Acetyl, you will need very frequent testing and adjustments of what you are taking.  I was fortunate to have a cooperative doctor who ordered tests more frequently when I needed this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.