Rainbow halos, starbursts, dull ache... Help?!

Posted , 10 users are following.

I'm a female and 20 years old. I have terrible health anxiety.

This all started last week when I was driving home from work in the dark. All the oncoming cars head lights were very bright and caused a starburst effect (something which I haven't noticed before) when I got home I noticed my street light had a rainbow halo around it? With this I became more anxious and was looking at all lights in and around my house to see if these had a rainbow halo (which they did).

As anyone with health anxiety we google are symptoms... and up came Gaulcoma!

I went to my opticians on Sunday and she did a full eye exam... I told her about my symptoms and she didn't seem worried.

She said my eyes were a little dry, I'm short sighted (first prescription needed) and I have an astigmatism but apart from that my eyes are very healthy.

Since then my eyes are sore and have a full ache which comes and goes.

What could be causing this?

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have dry eye and they can do what you describe. The eye is not fluid and the shapes and colors effects the sight. 

Asitgmatism is the eye is slightly shaped off a perfect circle. As we age the shape of our eyes change normally . 

I use eye drops to add moisture to my eyes helps all the side effects of dry eyes. Ask your doc or over the counter drops see if they relieve your symptoms. 

• Posted

Ask for preservative free eye drops as the ordinary ones dry out my eyes even more.
    • Posted

Yes right. I use a gel lasts longer. Great advice!

thanks!!

Hopexxxx

• Posted

Thank you! I am just concerned. I feel like all these physical symptoms must have an underlying cause!!! I have another appointment with a different opticians tomorrow for a second opinion x
    • Posted

That's always a great idea, second opinion is worth a great way to eliminate any other options .

keep posting

• Posted

Possibly your aniexty or eye strain. Take peace in the fact the Optitions said they were fine. Perhaps some eye drops for dry eye. I use hycosan extra. If she had any concerns about your eyes she would have referred you trust me!
    • Posted

Thank you! I am just concerned. I feel like all these physical symptoms must have an underlying cause!!! I have another appointment with a different opticians tomorrow for a second opinion. I'm just concerned it could be something more sinister (as reading on google) x

• Posted

Hi alana, you poor thing having such stress at such a young age. I agree with others here, anxiety can trigger sooo many issues for us all....If you are still anxious maybe seek out a reputable Ophtamologist for a second opinion. They are the medical doctors in this field.In many ways the Internet can be good but in some ways it can be negative and we all spend time trying to self-diagnose which isent a good thing. Keep in touch here on the forum and let us know how you are getting on. Best of luck....
    • Posted

Thank you! I am just concerned. I feel like all these physical symptoms must have an underlying cause!!! I have another appointment with a different opticians tomorrow for a second opinion then they maybe refer me to an Ophthalmologist x
  • Posted

Did you get this sorted out?
    • Posted

Hi I have been to 1 opticians now and they have both said there is nothing wrong with my eyes. Very healthy? So I'm slightly confused as to why I am atill seeing rainbow halos around lights at night. Any ideas?

• Posted

UPDATE! 

On Saturday I went to an eye clinic at the Hospital.  I explained my symptoms (rainbow halos around light sources etc.). They dilated my pupils so they could see the back on my eye clearly. Yet again the Ophthalmologist  couldn’t find anything wrong. Everyone is scratching their heads so confused as to why I am experiencing these symptoms. So they are going to book me in with a consultant in 4-6 weeks’ time for his opinion. 

I STILL DON'T KNOW WHAT IS CAUSING THESE SYMPTOMS ! 

• Posted

I have been seeing these for 2 years now:

http://hostthenpost.org/uploads/ff69e12e713fa27b789d9796e145f7c1.jpg

I have been diagnosed with severe dry eyes, but I'm skeptical that is the explanation. I get these around small indoor lights in lit up rooms. With traffic lights and lights in the dark I get ringed halos, often 3 or 4 ringed, of mostly the same colour (white lights have yellowing on the edges of the inner circle).

The above image may determine if we are both going through a similar thing.

• Posted

I have this problem.  It was explained to me that as our eyes develop not only do their shape change the rods and cones become either less or more distributed at the back of our eye.  As I have become older I have real problems driving at night and experienced similar problems to yourself. Also the headlights in many modern cars are much stronger Zenon beams.

I now possess a special pair of glasses made specifically for me by my optician with yellow lenses which cut out the oncoming glare and diminish the flashes and sparkles from oncoming headlights.  When driving in wet weather they are also extremely good at cutting down the glare from the wet road and screen.

It is not good buying yellow driving lenses which are cheaply sold on the internet. They are no good (I tried them).  I had to go to my optician to get them specially made.  If you are interested in further information I can find out exactly what the lenses were.  I got them from Specsavers and they werent horrendously expensive.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.