ramapril and anxiety! !!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello all, just wanted to say that I have to see my GP after suffering from odema and after hearing both medication I take can cause this, I am trying without, each of them Individually, I am taking ramapril and citalopram and had a week off ramapril and can't believe the difference! The horrible morning anxiety I suffered and random tremors have just gone like a switch, I am now on Indapamide and I am sure that will have problems!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi hails63112....

Edema is a common cause of quite a few bp medications, but you didn't say how long you had been taking the medication when the edema started. Ramperil is an ACE Inhibitor, but the most common side effect when taking ACE Inhibitors is a

dry hacking cough. Some people never get the cough(me) while others are on the medication for the short duration of a week, & have to come off it. I'm not sure what Citalopram is. Idapamide is a diuretic. Why are you assuming it will give you problems. I would strongly suggest you keep the appointment with your GP.

• Posted

Thanks Mike 92384

I guess I am just so fed up of side effects of medication and I also think that some of the side effects can also present as symptoms of high bloodpressure! I really struggle even thinking about taking my BP as I now have a phobia, and a long wait for councelling, I often think my bp is high, the citalopram is for anxiety! I think about the courage of taking it on my own monitor but then panic sets in. Have seen some bad reviews on Indapamide and can damage kidneys

• Posted

I had been on 2.5mg Ramipril for about 5 years and then my dose was increased just over a year ago. It was only after suddenly being taken off Ramipril (due to a kidney stone) that I realised what affect the medication had had on me. I immediately stopped having leg cramps in the night (which had been almost every night but has not occured in 5 weeks now). Also my joints and muscles are much less painful. It has taken a little longer to realise how anxious I had become of anything that was a slight deviation from the norm. My wife had noticed but had not know what was causing it. I am so much more like my self again. Another thing which appears to have improved is large blurred halos around bright lights which was causing me problems driving at night. However, I have not experienced this since coming off Ramipril but have not had many days commuting in the dark yet so I cannot confirm this. I would be interested to know if anyone else has experienced any unusual visual affects on Ramipril. I really do not want to go back on this sort of medication and am presently looking at more natural alternatives. 
    • Posted

Hi steve, I have been off ramapril for a week and can't believe the difference, the first thing I noticed is how less anxious I feel and feel happier. These medications cause all manor of problems, good luck
    • Posted

Thanks for the feedback. It is good to know that it is not just my imagination. There seems to be a push to lower blood pressure which I am not convinced about.  I intend to try and do some research on this to try and determine whether lowering blood pressure actually improves life expectancy.  Certainly the medication does not improve ones quality of life!

Kind regards.

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.