Ramipril

Posted , 6 users are following.

Although a listed side-ffect, low mood is rarely mentioned in discussion. Yet, having suffered from it when taking Ramipril, I feel it has far greater significance than is currently acknowledged. Over a 7 year period I continually complained to GP's/Practice Nurses about not feeling in control and having an ever-present deep sense of foreboding. My partner was frequently on the receiving end of my short temper too. Requests to change my medication were patronisingly passed off and I felt that my low-mood was being trivialised. As I had worked in Community Mental health for 15 years, I felt that I had the intrinsic knowledge that allowed me to make a measured decision about my changed mood, as I had always been resilient and even tempered, regardless of my work. I eventually changed GP Practices and spoke to a sympathetic GP who put me on Losartan. Within a week my life began again. I became buoyant again and my partner is relieved! I have now spoken with others who have endured the same experiences and it has been suggested that Ramipril is often prescribed first, as it is out of license and cheap and not because it is the most effective.

3 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I am new to this site, and reading the post from Inquisitive will make me see my GP. I too have been on Ramipril and been aware of irritability ++ and low mood. These symptoms have been making me miserable. This information is very helpful to me
  • Posted

Hi I to am new to the site and was just reading about Ramipril .I was put on 2.5 capsules about 6 weeks ago due to high blood pressure due to my antidepressant being increased due to low mood and anxiety . Over the past six weeks i have become more depressed more aggressive ,anxious ,tired and unable to function as i once did I even had to spend new years eve in hospital as i had totally lost the plot . about 4 weeks ago the antidepressant meds where reduced again back to my previous dose as it was thought that this was the cause of my worsening condition . My blood pressure then went back down to where it was However i was still feeling very agitated and moody and tired . I have since learned that it is a side effect of this drug to experience low mood ect which obviously with my existing condition made my life at times not worth living .I have stopped taking the Ramipril now since Thursday and already the anxiety has virtually disappeared .

Just goes to show doctors are not always rite

• Posted

Sorry you felt like this but thank you for sharing as it has reassured me. I was quite low before starting ramipril but not receiving any treatment. Over the three weeks I took this drug I became panicky, anxious and agitated. I had severe panic attacks and felt like I was going crazy. One stopping it within 2 days panic stopped. Still not quite back to "normal" but getting there. Hope you are too.
  • Posted

Hi, I have been on 2.5mg Ramipril, for about a year now, and since last July I have been suffering from itchy rashes, one rash goes and another one comes up someware else, chest, legs, back, head Docs have diagnosed, shingles twice, damm great pills, five times a day, scabies twice, shaved my head and legs applied cream all over, I started putting some bleach in the bath at night, but that didn't seem to help,has anyone suffered any simarlar reaction, and was it resolved?
  • Posted

If this is becoming persistent despite the different diagnoses, it might be worth asking for an opinion from a dermatologist.

Tarun (hospital pharmacist)

• Posted

I have been on ramapril 10 for some 8 years. I have exactly the same side effects. Even tried sertraline antidepressant which has other issues. The ramapril has reduced the bp from 220/165. Now 145/90. I also do not accept that pressure is not a contributor to high bp.
  • Posted

i have been on it for a few years now. Of the heart meds, 4 of them are known to affect libido (and that as we all know liks with mood). I have not been in so dark a mood, but I do suffer from an emotional apathy. I have not been dating or seeing anyone and i don't care, i am disinterested in a relationship or sex. The doctor had my testosterone levels checked and they within the realm or normal. i don't know if all of this is dues to the low libido or the other way around. I am just content and disengaged. Before you ask, No I don't feel negative or suicidal. just emotionally inert. No anxiety, just nothing at all.
  • Posted

I have just been told I have high blood pressure, although my doctor did not tell me how high it was...

However, I know it was higher than 168 over 90.

My doctor put me on ramipril.....Call me soft but I was very nervous, but what I want to know...

I am 52 this year, diabetic, overweight and have an under active thyroid.... Well should I be worried?

Also, I feel better writing to other people with similar condition...

Thank you for reading my concern.

• Posted

I am on ramipril (5mg 2x daily), Carvedilol (25mg 3x daily), Spironolacton (1/2 x 25mg daily), Toloxin. (125mg daily) and Furosemide (40mg), The first 4 kill sexual desire. it's not a matter of not getting it up, it's a matter of just not caring either way (no not depression) I am on thyroid suppliments since my thyroid was nuked. plus a few other medications. I am overweight (put on 50 lbs fast when the thyroid got nuked (i am getting on top of things though and losing weight slowly). THe combination of meds was to deal with a heart that was essentially shutting down. I was running on 2 chambers. and it was enlarged to 1.5 times normal and BP was very high. My BP has been perfect, not just withing tolerable l;evels, it has been PERFECT. my heart is back to normal size and i am on 3.5 chambers of the heart again (atrial fibrulation). i am feeling better than I have to years (other than the libido) I have energy back and am lightly exercising again.

take it for what you will, but they expected me to be underground by now if it had not been for the meds. now if i had my way, we would start to work on reducing the meds and seeing if problems come back or if i can get rid of them all but that i trust the cardiologist. he has been doing a super job and keeps me up to date.

• Posted

Hi, I was commenced on Ramipril only 3 weeks ago and within a few days was experiencing severe headache, low mood and panic attacks and tinnitus. Literally thought I was going mad. Spoke to my GP and stopped ramipril. Started to feel better each day, only day 3 off of it so still hoping for more improvement. Going to start amlodipine when more stable. So I agree psychiatric side effects are listed as uncommon but they do happen. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.