Ramipril and severe leg pain.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi folks, I've been on Ramipril for about 6 weeks, I'm having frequent episodes of severe leg pain. Nearly went to hospital with pain in calves, it was excruciating, but I get the leg pain all over, thighs front and back, lower legs front and back, it's both legs, but mainly the left. My legs feel really week at times. They really hurt at night to the extent that it keeps me awake. Has anyone else had this problem?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It sounds like oedema and that you need a diuretic. Be careful that they do not give you the vasodilator indapamide wrongly believing it to be a diuretic. You dont say what is your blood pressure?
    • Posted

Hi, my blood pressure was around 145 to 170 systolic and between 90 to 127 diastolic, but it's now reasonably steady at 123/83.

• Posted

Hi Gillian ,i hope by now you will have solved the problem but if not i was on Ramipril and during that time i got very sore legs and a hacking cough ! I had to come off it and altho i have different problems from the one im on now my legs gpt better ! In fact im fed up of every tablet i take giving me muscle and joint pain !
    • Posted

Hi Gwen, I'm still having the leg problems, was at the Doctor the other day and she said there's no connection between the leg pain and Ramipril, I disagree, never had pain like this before the Ramipril, blood pressure has came down but did go back up last week. Im currently trying to get my head round changing my whole diet, but it's really hard. Getting fed up with doctors pills. 😱

• Posted

Hi Gillian ,Im sure your doctor is wrong , Ramipril does cause leg pain and a lot of other symptoms !Does she want you to stay on it ? I wish i had some answers but i don't , like you im a bit fed up of different tablets as i  seem to get terrible pain from them all ! One of the Drs i see worked with a drug company and he says the side effects are real so i am believed but still no answer ! Im in Candesartan just now and find it hard to tolerate as well ! Infortunately i do not think that my BP will stay down all the time even if i change my diet  ,but im trying ! Good luck !

• Posted

Hi Gwen, my doctor was adamant the Ramipril wasn't responsible for the leg pains, but I know it is. 2 nights after taking Ramipril, my calves felt like they were going to burst, nearly went to A&E because of it. I'm constantly getting pain, she hasn't mentioned anything about me coming off them, thinks the problem is due to varicose veins, just said I've to lose some weight and if I've still got pain, I've to go to hospital for tests. 😔

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.