RAMIPRIL COUGH

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have a terrible cough on this drug and have only been on it from Friday just gone, it's a dry weird feeling, I keep getting a tickle in my throat too and it's keeping me up at night, I am also breathless and am struggling to get to a to b, I know it's the ramipril because I never had the symptoms before I started taking, I had my last tablet yesterday and refuse to take any more, anybody else suffering like this on this drug please?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Shazza.

A dry cough is a very common side effect of ramipril. I was on it for a couple of months before I took myself back to my GP. She put me on Candesartan instead. You were right to stop taking it and your cough should clear very soon, but please go back to your doctor for an alternative. There are plenty more out there. Good luck.

• Posted

It's a common side effect,stop taking it and ask for another,it's cheap that's why doctors hand them out.
  • Posted

I am new to this so this comment may not follow on but thatnks for the comments if you see this message, i have stopped the Ramipril, my last one was on friday around 3pm but still coughing badly, i will try and make an appointment tomorrow, i just wish the doctor had warned me. 
  • Posted

Hello there, I think you will find if you follow this forum, that takers of Ramipril suffer all kinds of nasty side effects.I know I did. You took the right action as the sooner you stop the better you will feel. I understand that doctors prescribe Ramipril because it is cheap.Go back to the doctor and ask for something else.

Best of luck and nice photo of the Staffie.

• Posted

I was started on ramipril 2.5 mg 3 months ago after being told i had severe hypertension. At first i was fine, despite being warned by my pharmacist that they are known to cause a persistent cough in most people when they start taking it. After 6 weeks my dose was increased to 5 mg because a bp reading was still high. This is where the problems started. Within 3 days i had an awful dry tickle in the back of my throat, on one side that caused such a dry hacking cough that it's made me sick at times, i constantly have a hoarse voice, and it keeps me awake at night. The bouts of coughing come on suddenly and the tickle at the back of my throat is really intense. I haven't yet found anything to soothe it and I'm tempted to stop the tablets. I went back to the doctor 3 weeks ago and told her i thought the ramiptil had given me an unbearable cough, and was fobbed off with the reply that a cough caused by ramipril is rare, it could be anything, and i need to wait at least 3 months before she will investigate whether or not it's the ramipril or something else. I can't wait 3 months, it's driving me mad and really getting me down.
  • Posted

I have an awful cough been on steroids to settle did for a week now back on Ramipril doctor not made the connection now a month on sending me for COPD & asthma checks as now say thrown away my records when diagnosed in 1993 and not on my records now that I have Cough-variant asthma in fact I do not think they have even heard of it as keep saying I am not wheezing,  Now not sleeping again can not get in at doctors so having to see a nurse today to try change my medication.  In a bad place as need this changing now and my asthma flare sorting but they have not heard of Cough-variant asthma Oh now got to try go & not sound like trying to tell a doctor he has miss diagnosed me Oh great sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.