Ranitidine 300 2x a day GERD

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been taking this medication 2x a day for about 3 weeks now and I believe its causing me terrible side effects. Everything was good the first week, but then I started to have SEVERE headache where nothing was making them better, nausea, diarrhea, anxiety, dizziness and lack of sex drive (which could just be because I’m not feeling well from everything else.) I have had multiple test done for these symptoms and nothing else seems to be causing them. I am going to stop taking the Ranitidine and see if these symptoms diminish. Has anyone else had this?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Why are you on such a large dose of H2 blockers?

If you have acid hypersecretion, Proton Pump Inhibitors are more effective.

Ranitidine is one of a family of drugs called Histamine H2 Receptor Antagonists. Read about them here: https://patient.info/health/h2-blockers

The symptoms you describe are often attributed to acid suppressants. The normal advice is to try a different one as there are many that do the same job but you may have an intolerance for the one you're on. A different H2 blocker you could try would be Famotidine (Pepsid) and an equivalent dose would be about 80mg.

However, discuss PPIs with your doctor. They have recently had unwarrented media scare stoires which, unfortunately, has turned some people against them but the smallest effective dose for the shortest requisite time and managed by a doctor, they are amongst the safest drugs there are.

• Posted

Please post how you get along? Best wishes
  • Posted

Melony, you are not alone.. Same here, after about 3 weeks of one dose in the morning and another in the afternoon I too began to have a serious problem with sex, especially inability to orgasm. Didn't have a clue as to what was going on. Next started with bad anxiety which started out the blue. kept taking these pills and next a tight pressure in my chest which matured into a persistent ache like my heart was having trouble. I cycle for exercise and that's when I had to do something.. I remembered starting this med, researched it and almost screamed. I can't believe and OTC med could do this. Luckily on the third day after I stopped taking these the anxiety has lifted a bit and the sexual performance is back 100%. My chest still aches though so I hope it didn't hurt my heart.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.