Ranitidine & lansoprazole

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, has anyone taken these meds in combination. I have been prescribed them after being diagnosed with mild gastritis. My original symptoms were right sided/middle upper pain day after alcohol,and gas gurgling on/off upper boating. MRI of my liver - discharged by liver clinic and fibroscan of 4. i have 1 month of lansoprazole and 2 month of ranitidine. Can anyone tell me the purpose of these - i have and have never had no acid reflux and not sure if making gas/gurlging is getting worse with these meds. thanks

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Lansoprazole and Ranitidine are both acid suppressants which work in different ways.   I have been on both for some time to help with gastritis, in my case caused by H. pylori.  Suppressing the acid will help your gastritis to heal, in conjunction with a sensible diet.   Was your gastritis diagnosed through an endoscopy ?
  • Posted

Hi Jan, yes it was, however it was not caused  by H Pylori. I am not sure how it was caused. I am a stress head and used to enjoy a few glasses of wine so maybe it was that. Did you suffer from excessive gas,gurgling feeling in the whole of the abdomen area? Thanks for replying 
    • Posted

I have extraordinary amounts of gurgling in the whole of my abdominal area !!!  Not so much gas though.   I have given up alcohol for the moment and a lot of other acid causing foods like wheat and dairy.  I am pleased for you that you do not have H. pylori, at least you are spared the antibiotic treatment eradication !

i hope your symptoms settle down soon.  Best wishes

• Posted

Hi , I suppose it is just gurgling I have, as I assume gas would come out, which it doesn't ! Maybe hence the upper bloat. Were you advised to give up wheat and diary? Does your gurgling tend to be constant? I am so scared it's something other than "just" gastritis , thank you
    • Posted

The gurgling is pretty constant.  It was found that I have an intolerance to wheat and dairy, also they are both foods that make your stomach produce more acid.  I try and eat alkaline foods as much as possible .  If you google it you will find what they are.  Alcohol is definitely an acid one !!
    • Posted

hi Jan  I too  have been diagnosed with moderate gastitus  and have been on Omaprozole for 3 months  but have stopped this for about 3 weeks now and are getting dull ache in stomach and soreness  as well as low back ache and very little energy.  I will go to GP and see if I need to go back on or take Raniidine . How do you know if gastritus has healed ?  I know its a stupid question .. but I guess you start to feel better !! or have another endoscopy .  Can I ask you what you eat on a daily basis . When I was on Omaprozole I had raging sore throats and constipation  so would rather do it naturally . . Thanks for any advice you can give as I am feeling drained and not use to having so little energy . I am 64 . Thanks 

• Posted

Although most frequetly used for patients with acid reflux, this wasn't the original intention of these drugs which are to reduce acidity in the stomach to cure or prevent ulceration.

Your gastritis is due to exessive acid production for whatever reason. It can usually be cured by a short treatment with lansoprazole or other PPI which effectively stop reduce the production of acid cells in your stomach. However, stopping abruptly can be an issue so using raniidine (a less effective acid suppressant which just blocks the signals to produce acid) for a while afterwards is good advice.

• Posted

hi Chris  I  have been diagnosed with moderate gastitus  and have been on Omaprozole for 3 months  but have stopped this for about 3 weeks now and are getting dull ache in stomach and soreness  as well as low back ache and very little energy.  I will go to GP and see if I need to go back on or take Raniidine . How do you know if gastritus has healed ?  I know its a stupid question .. but I guess you start to feel better !! or have another endoscopy .   When I was on Omaprozole I had raging sore throats and constipation  so would rather do it naturally . . Thanks for any advice you can give as I am feeling drained and not use to having so little energy . I am 64 . Thanks 
    • Posted

If pains are returning after you stopped the acid suppressants, it probably means you need to continue with them a bit longer. Ranitidine will probably do the job but not so efficiently. You'd probably be prescribed it at 300mg (cf 75mg for OTC ranitidine).

Of course endoscopy is the best way of determining if your gastritis has healed but you should also be aware if you no longer get that burning sensation.

Sore throats are more likely from reflux than PPIs. Constipation or diarrhoea are likely form your PPI. Ask your doc if you can try a different one.

• Posted

Thank you that is very helpful, was just about to give up but helps expalin things a little 
  • Posted

First time I went to the er they prescribed Pepcid (they thought I had gastritis) after two weeks it stopped working. My gp prescribed ranitidine and murals max for constipation and it worked till a few days ago my abdomen feels sore.
  • Posted

I was not on these at the same time, but I have been prescribed these in the past. I have acid reflux for over a year and suffer majorly with gas gurgling as I cannot burp due to a fear of vomiting. I call it my dragon noise smile I struggled with lansoprazole as I was prescribed to take it half an hour before food which I always forgot. Ranitidine was the best midedication I took for my symptoms however it did wear off after a while and didn't seem to work as well. Good luck 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.