Rape victim and trying to not be depressed

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was raped about 3 weeks ago and I have been struggling to not sink into that hole that my body keeps wanting. My dr put me on Zoloft 50mg for a week, but just increased it to 100mg. I feel a lot better with the 100mg with no side effects. I go back to nursing school next week and I am dreading it. I don't want to be around a lot of people. Things like people getting really loud and people constantly telling me that I look tired makes my anxiety really bad. It hasn't been too bad because ive been on break and at home most of the time, but I'm worried that when I go back to school I wont be able to deal. Please give me some advice on how to deal with that!

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

A rape victim deserves to be depressed. After all that is the one of the worst kinds of violation there is. I know I too am a rape survivor. Altho it happened along time ago I still remember it like it was yesterday. Having a special person to share you're feelings with I think is most beneficial then maybe medication but don't let the Dr. put you on it for life because he'll be more than happy to do that regardless of long term effects to you. Please don't worry ahead of time weather you'll be able to deal with going back to school. Try to do that in reverse: go back to school then worry and you'll be surprised that you worried needlessly. Sometimes we become our own worst enemy's. Take the time to grieve what happened to you, you certainly didn't ask for it or deserve it. The grieving process can be quite healing. I do wish you the best and hope that you don't bottle up you're anger because that will develop into depression and then you will be on meds for ever. And that's not good.
  • Posted

Thank you for those kind words. I try my best not to worry but it becomes difficult at times. But I'll continue to fight it as much as possible.
  • Posted

First of all well done on being proactive and looking for help. Secondly I would like to suggest that you consider practicing Mindfulness, you will find a lot of information on the net, I recommend looking at articles and links related to Jon Kabat Zinn, the original teacher of Mindfulness.

Jon Kabat Zinn basically removed all of the religion from meditation to help make it more relevant to a wider group of people. It has been scientifically proven to help with many conditions & I think that it could help you deal with what you are going through.

This clip is quite long at 80 minutes, but a good introduction, it is Jon Kabat Zinn giving a talk to workers at Google about what Mindfulness is and its benefits :www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nwwKbM_vJc

Best wishes

• Posted

i'm proud that you are a strong woman like me smile i know i have posted 2 months after but your going to have different emotions for ages the same thing happened to me 3 nearly 4 years ago now and i still sometimes get depressed and angry to a point i can scream the house down and throw things at the people that have always been there for me and i love, my fiance now gets angry when sometimes i need to talk, just remember that all men are not all bad smile that's what my counceller told me, your a strong woman keep it up and when it comes to you being in a relationship again stick to your guns, i hope you are ok and you do well for your life from now and on wards and can i add im very proud, if you havent already found somewhere to go to get help, look on the internet in your local area smile all the best
  • Posted

Thank you for the great comment. I am currently seeing someone from the rape crisis center and am following through with charges against him. I am still adjusting to talking to someone about my feelings but I do feel it is a big help. Its amazing that you can let that go and live your life bc some times I wonder if that will happen for me. So you definitely motivate me to get that back. Thank you again for the encouraging words smile
  • Posted

your more then welcome, to be honest it is hard it takes strong women like us to motivate ourselfs, i thought i wasn't going to make it and im here now im engaged and im happy smile im glad i can make you feel like that keep being strong
  • Posted

Hello, I just noticed after reading the trail that this was posted some time ago. Firstly I hope that you are feeling better than you did a year back. Secondly my hat comes off to you for reporting so quickly and thirdly I really hope you got the justice you deserve. It would be good to know how you got on. I have only recently reported a rape from nearly 3 years ago. Thinking of you. Carolyn x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.