rare side effects

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi - I am very sensitie to medication but due to a constant headache from a head injury 5 months ago i relented and allowed my doc to give me a prescription for Amitriptyline.  He gave me the lowest dose 10 mg and my pharmacist cut it into 4 for me.  So i took 2.5mg.  approx.

The symptoms I had were:  extrememe dry mouth, involuntary muscle twitches, burning sensation on my cheeks, numb teeth, hearing was amplified, racing heart, light tremor, just strange thoughts in my brain.  And sooo groggy in the morning I coudn't get out of bed until 10am.  I know have a hangover feeling.

Do these wear off if I continue taking it?  Are these dangerous?  thanks..Kirsten

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kirsten

?Unless the pain of your headaches is just too much to bear I would say stay away from this drug. I don't know what other pain meds your GP has prescribed for you before this or whether they may have worked for you or not but personally I would try other treatments before agreeing to take Amitriptyline. Usually it takes this drug 3-6 weeks to entirely get into your system during which time side effects show themselves and some then go away and some do not. Based on what you say in your post I recommend you think long and hard before continuing to take Amitrip. The longer you take it, the harder it becomes to come off it. What other meds have you tried ? Has your GP mentioned referring you to the Pain Clinic to learn self management of pain ? I do hope that you find pain relief a better way and that soon you will be on the road to recovery

• Posted

PS to earlier reply. Please also stay away from Gabapenten and Pregabalin if GP offers these to you. These drugs are quite toxic and very hard to come off because of withdrawals. I have personally been on all three and I rue the day I ever agreed to try them. I was in 24/7 chronic sciatic pain for nearly a year and couldn't walk so I think I tried them in desperation. They work but give you more problems in other ways. Please research them all before making a decision.

• Posted

Personally I will not be drawn on this.

I would advise you check the manufacturer about this dose.

You can also check here on Medications A-Z, 

Try NHS Chices, for an explanation.

Your dose is so small I will not go near this. You may need to stop the medication 

Talk to your GP

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.