Rash after completing Trimethoprim

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello. I have a just completed a 1 week course of Trimethprim for Folliculitus. I took the last tablet Monday morning and on Wednesday morning I woke up with a rash that looks similar to hives all over my body. I just wondered if anyone had experienced this? And if it hopefully goes away?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello - A couple of months ago after taking just 3 Trimethoprim, I began to develop a red, itchy rash on the soles of my feet, one was much worse than the other. To cut a very long (6 week) story short, they went on to blister badly and then to skin - so much so that I couldn't have a shower as the warm water stung my feet so much. During this time, I was in an awful lot of pain, and without sounding dramatic, I am used to pain having got a form of rheumatoid arthritis.it was a horrible experience. I do hope that you do not follow this pattern, and strongly suggest that you visit your GP and ask for Piriton or similar to help with the itching. A kind partner with good old calamine lotion and cotton wool pads helps a lot too. Please let me know how you get on. Inidentally, are you allergic to any other anitbiotics?
  • Posted

Thank you for replying. I have never experienced any problems with antibiotics in the past. My Dad told me he has had allergic reactions to amoxcillin. I just never knew you could get rashes after a course of treatment. I always assumed allergic reactions would show up while taking them. As ive never experienced one i have no iidea of the timeframe for the rash to go sad I hope im not stuck like it!
  • Posted

Hi - Interestingly I am allergic to amoxicillin is there a genetic connection?? Good Luck.
  • Posted

I too have just had a rash appear 2 days after finishing a week's course of Trimethoprim for a urine infection.  Very itchy and treating with calamine lotion and piriton tablets.  I am also allergic to tetracyclcine to which I had an immediate reaction some years ago with a rash after 1 tablets.  Is it possible to find out if these drugs are in the same of group? Thanks
  • Posted

Hello I don't know if these drugs are connected, that's something to aks your doctor, but it is a heck of a coincidence.  It seems that those people who have a sensitivity to Trimethoprim have a monster reaction, and in many cases, far worse than the original problem.  I know that I will NEVER touch it again - good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.