Reactive Arthritis

Posted , 5 users are following.

Following C Diff

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello,

I am new to this forum,I think it was one of many I came upon trying to diagnose myself last year.

I am 51 years old and female so I do not meet the typical "common" patients that get reactive arthritis I've researched.

I had C-Diff and, what I felt like I was deathly sick, before being diagnosed with it from a colonoscopy after being sick for a month.A stool specimen incomplete in error for C Diff after 10 day wait by the lab and another negative.A trip to the hospital for dehydration,not eating solids for a month and I mean nothing staying in.By the time I had the colonoscopy pretty sick.Numerous lesions all over the colon.The next day woke up with what I thought pink eye and my left knee painful and swollen.I have RA so didn't think too much about it.A few days later right eye pink and knee was unbearable swollen larger than normally and right ankle pain with some swelling.By the following week both the size of an elephant and could not bare to move off the bed.I had a fever as well ,went to primary Dr.wanted to do flu test for joint pain and fever .🙄I refused it and more less told her to aspirate it for culture.

In meantime the pain was unbearable,felt like my circulation was being cut off.Went to orthopedic surgeon that thought it was sepsis since the nucleated cells were so elevated he sent me to a infectious disease Dr.that was a no go with diagnosis.Follow up to gastroenterologist and he didn't have a clue except told me I had elephantitus and laughed,referred me to a RA Dr.who couldn't see me for over a month,his assistant didn't have an answer when I called back to see if he could make a call to get in earlier .I continued to research on my own and called a list of Dr.s that could not see a new pt.for over a month.When I finally found the right RA Dr.she knew immediately what it was.She aspirated it and it was bleeding into the joint.I then had a list of multiple symptoms from inflammation to right ankle,left knee,Achilles heel,membrane of the eyes,lower back.She put me on oral steroids and injections in a course of 7 months along with Sulfasalazine.Broke out in a rash with sulfa,and cannot take anymore steroids to now I have osteopenia(very thin bones)due to steroids.

I am now on Methatrexate,I thought this was doing the trick but now the inflammation has shifted to the left ankle and the left heel pain is now a problem.I apologize for such a long post but this has been on going for a year and a month now .I would appreciate any advice or feed back.

Thank you,

Angela

0 Reply

• Posted

C difficille is a hospital/health center bug, that also invades medical instruments and can cause severe reactions in abdomen, including wiping good bacteria.
    • Posted

Yes Rocky,C-Diff is mainly in the hospitals. My brother in law was in a accident and was in the hospital long term.He had it and had yet to be tested for it,I was caring for him brushing and flossing teeth etc...I wore gloves as well and always washed my hands.Of course as soon as he was diagnosed we had to completely dress out to visit.The spores multiply by the thousands and live on bed rails and surfaces.That is one of the bacteria's that causes Reactive Arthritis.

Angela

• Posted

Hello angela this is the first time l have heard of this manner of being infected with RA , l have lived with my R A ( rieters ) while being in the us marines and have lived with it for 50 years it has been in a sleep for the most part for 35 years with just a small fare up having reached 70 years old it came back with great pain in the S1 L5 area of my spine attacking for some 6 months now the report from this is not great with having had a recend MRI l do have some pain in my sholder and hand put the back sitiuation is the worse when the RA came back was tired for  2-months didn't want to get out of bed no energy at all have been taking 50 MG of minicin seems to help but have a concern with taking this as it is hard on the human liver as I am retired its gives me a break living with the health problem l sincerely wish well in experencing relive, Roy

• Posted

Hey Roy,I had never heard of it myself until desperately researching trying to diagnose myself.The RA Dr.I see has treated many cases where reactive arthritis reacted to C-Diff.It only reacts to about five bacteria's.I contracted the C-Diff caring for my brother in law in the hospital,I had never heard of it,and certainly never heard of the reactive arthritis.I'm so sorry you are experiencing such a hard time with it.Ihave the low back pain as well with the inflammation.It took me almost 2 months to diagnose otherwise I do not think it would be as bad.The majority of the people who have it only show symptoms for a few months my Dr.had started.I guess we are the lucky ones that have it long term! Thank you for your service,I do not know how you stayed active in the Marines while living with this stuff.It can be so debilitating at times.The only thing about the medication is your trading your symptoms in to acquire possibilities of new symptoms or damage.Same with the methotrexate I'm on and the steroids have thinned the bones.I appreciate your input and wish you well.Hopefully this too shall pass.

Angela

• Posted

How many DMARDS have you tried, are you taking associated  BIOLOGICS

BOB

• Posted

I have tried Plaquenil,Sulfasalazine which I broke out all over my body in a rash.I'm considered "high risk" for medications with my history.My Gastroenterologist prescribed Humira while I was trying to get a diagnosis and my insurance rejected it.Dr.needed to do a pre authorized form.By that point I had already found out the diagnosis and a different Dr.

Angela

• Posted

I still have reactive arthritis and being treated for it.I have a history of Rheumatoid Arthritis as well which is called RA so every time I see RA I'm thinking Rheumatoid.

• Posted

Wow ... this is a first .... you have reactive arthrits and also rheumatoid arthritis. Thats must be so painful ? 

ok ... the reactive arthritis is from C . Difficile ? 

• Posted

Correct,I got reactive from C Diff .The Rheumatoid I have had over 10 years,I stopped the medication and injections for it over 7 years ago.I felt like it wasn't working so my symptoms became better over time on its own.When my RA Dr.did the complete blood work up this past time it was showing the RH factor was negative.Shd said I was an unusual case!haha

• Posted

if RH factor is now negative, then how was your rheumatoid arthritis diagnosed 10 years ago? 
    • Posted

I have tried Plaquenil,Sulfasalazine which I broke out all over my body in a rash.I'm considered "high risk" for medications with my history.My Gastroenterologist prescribed Humira while I was trying to get a diagnosis and my insurance rejected it.Dr.needed to do a pre authorized form.By that point I had already found out the diagnosis and a di

• Posted

Did the plaquenil work .... its a dmard and supposed to work for Rheumatoid as well as reactive arthritis.
    • Posted

My CCP Antibodies were a strong positive along with the C reactive protein was elevated as well.My current RA Dr.said she has never seen anyone go from a positive CCP to negative.
    • Posted

I was put on the Plaquenil for the Rheumatoid Arthritis and broke out in a severe sunburn like rash from scalp to feet so needless to say I cannot take that.My sister has Rheumatoid Arthritis and takes that and the methotrexate with no problems.
    • Posted

Yes,they both help my sister.She was on steroids for three years so now they put her on the dmard's instead of the steroids.

• Posted

So you went from positive  anti-CCP and  high CrP to now normal. 

Looks like you beat rheumatoid arthritis, but got reactive instead ...

• Posted

Right,I didn't realize it could come and go like that.I have learned a lot since all this took place over a years time. Educate yourself,that I'm trying to do to have a better understanding.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.