Reactive Arthritis not going away?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Why is my reactive arthritis not going away 2 years later? I still have the same symptoms except more is popping up each day. 

My arthritis is mainly focuse on rib cage, upper back and chest....why?  Why did god choose me?

I just want to die so bad.. this is dum. God why me?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

You cannot think like this Vincentworld. You like me have been one of the unlucky ones. My consultant told me 95% of people get better within six months and have little or no permanent damage. Mine has now gone but I do need joint replacement. I was on various medications for about five years but now just take a few prescription painkillers a day. Mine was mainly in hips, knees and ankles with huge amounts of swellings plus a rash on my feet. I did have times when screaming in agony I wondered why me? But why not? Many people have dreadful things to live with and I always told myself it's mainly pain and it will not kill me. Try to stay positive, it will go and yes it is hell but you will get through it. Make sure you get to see a sympathetic doctor who prescribes whatever you need and keep trying different drugs if others don't work. You will get better. There are lots of us out here and we do get through it sooner or later. Good luck and stay strong.
    • Posted

Yea that's what my infection disease doc told me 95% of case goes away. Why am I chronic??? I am HLB 27 gene negative too..

All test negative.

My pain is so bad that its starting to have impact on my organs. Kidney and Heart. 

I started get heart palpitation. 

I take Cyclobenaprine every night to go to sleep and this doesn't even scracth the surface.

I am tryin to stay positive but I can't take the pain anymore. 

• Posted

I get the palpitations too but take propanol ( beta blocker) when they get bad. You need to go back and get more/ different pain relief as you shouldn't have to suffer so much. It was steroids that gave me the most relief. I had oh injections initially to calm things down then went onto tablets on a gradually reducing dose but I was on them for years. Have now been off them for about three years and manage on prescription paracodol and ibuprofen and just waiting for new hips ( and probably knees). You do need to experiment with drugs as lots are available but won't suit you. I was given methotrexate and something else but they made me really ill and I ended up on Quinoric which is a malaria drug which really helped. Keep going back and asking for help there will be something that will help although it's a little understood miserable disease. You will get there!
    • Posted

Hi. Has anyone tried Humira? I have resisted taking it due to side effects. It seems my shoulders are being affected. Initially it was my knees and spine but they don't seem so bad. My right shoulder is the worst and left one starting to bother me.

• Posted

I currently take Humira and it works extremely well for me. I had an extreme case of RA and was on ton of different Meds (Various NSAIDs, steroids, pain killers, sulfasalazine, etc.) for about 4 months before my MD decided to try Humira. I was fearful to start using Humira due to the side effects, yet decided to give it a try.

After about 2 months of using Humira, I was completely off my other Meds (minus the occasional Etodolac).

I have no serious side effects. The only symptom that I have noticed is that when I get any type of injury (scrap, cut, etc.) it takes longer to heal.

I hope this helps.

• Posted

Thanks, Brian. I thought I was doing ok with mild symptoms until it attacked my shoulder, which is now a problem for me.

I want to start on it soon.

• Posted

Yes it was a skin infection, which is not too common a cause to start reactive arthritis. I have had it 2 years. It was bad for a year and then it went away for many months. It flared up again but my flare ups were relatively mild and I felt I could just deal with it on my own. However, I developed tendonitis in my right shoulder about 6 months ago and then got much worse. I thought it was all related to the tendonitis but a recent MRI now shows arthritis in my shoulder and fluid. I was really bummed to see that and I am seeing my rheumatologist soon. I know she wants me to start Humira. I hope it is okay. Worried about getting an infection on that drug but maybe it will stop this process. I hope.

Are you going to start on Humira?

• Posted

I also have the HLA B27 gene. It is hard not to get very bummed out. I was having a very good period for a long time and felt this was gone for good. I am looking into treatments for my shoulder now to see if I can improve it.
    • Posted

Same here. doc is recommending Humira. I got nothing to lose at this point. I am going to start Humira before more damage is done. 
    • Posted

It was suspected that my Reactive Arthritis was brought on by a virus.

I got what seemed to be a mild stomach flu and a few days after I felt normal again, the pain started to creep in. Within a week I was in the ER.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.