Really bad neck pain!

Posted , 3 users are following.

For three week I had neck pain in my right hand side, it recently switched to my right so in total I have had this pain for around a month, it hurts to turn my head and I find myself holding my breath because it's hurting so bad. I can't describe the pain but it's almost like a really painful stitch after you've been running but in your neck and it's also like someone's pulling my neck, imagine they had the insides of my neck and was pulling it as far as they could, weird I know but it really hurts. I've tried deep heat patches and spray aswell as deep freeze, neither worked. I take codyramol every 6 bours but by the 3rd or 4th hour I'm in absolute agony and need more but can't take it. Does anybody know what this could be. It even hurts to lay down and attempt to rest, I can barely sleep through the pain unless I have taken pain relief! I can't get to the doctors until tomorrow so any ideas would be helpful of what this could be!sad

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like muscle spasm of levator scapulae. This muscle really can create a stiff neck when trying to turn. The question is why is it in spasm...need imaging to determine if something serious such as nerve compression, herniated disc, etc., If results of imaging do not explain your symptoms...then most likely this is a musculoskeletal issue and would need physical therapy,..if heat seems helpful it is most likely not nerve related...just know that too much heat can create more pain even with a musculoskeletal issue because this increases circulation/ swelling to the area...this can be problematic particularly if there is already an inflammatory process going on....and there probably is...get to the Doctor...once neck pain starts it can be relentless in going away...in the mean time I would consider maybe alternating heat with ice and using anti- inflammatory med such as ibuprofen...best wishes!
    • Posted

Hello, I've alternated heat and ice and nothing is making it go, I'm currently sat with deep heat spray on my neck and it's doing nothing, taken 2 codyramol and I can't move my head away from my shoulder so my heads to the side till the pain killer kicks in x

• Posted

Heat, ice, ibuprofen, etc., are temporary measures until you can get in with Doctor...these measures will not eliminate it....there is a problem going on...could be neck or shoulder injury/dysfunction....if you do not get it treated you will develop compensation patterns in your muscles which can lead to chronic widespread pain beyond the neck....not trying to scare you but a muscle/ muscles that remain tight will grow very weak...other muscles will have to kick in to help out to stabilize you...once your body can no longer compensate for that weakness you get pain....which as you are already finding out can be difficult to get rid of....get it looked at before it possibly gets worse.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.