really high liver enzymes

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, I'm alcohol dependent. I had a blood test in september and my liver enzymes  were 354 for AST and 234 for ALT, ggt was raised too but can't remember the number and bilirubin was fine.The nurse said they would go down after detox but my gp said I might have cirrhosis and has booked me in for an ultrasound next month.

I'm very scared. I had an ultrasound last april and all was fine but a fatty liver. Also had gastroctopy and was fine.

My fasting lft results over the past few years have been normal or just slightly raised. 

My liver in February this year was only 64 and this was taken first thing in the morning but this September result was taken in the evening by the alcohol services after I had drank almost half a bottle of vodka so I don't think the results are accurate.

How could I develop cirrhosis after normal ultrasound last year and normal bloods in February this year?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

That sounds like chronic alcoholic hepatitis. In my own opinion. Not cirrosis. But yes, stop drinking, cause you could get cirrosis. Remember only 10-20% of heavy heavy drinkers advance to cirrosis.
    • Posted

Thanks for this, can hepatitis be reversed?
    • Posted

Of course, those counts on your AST/ALT sound like chronic hepatitis, not cirrhosis, and yes, completely reversible. But you have to stop drinking immediately. 
  • Posted

Because the ultrasound is only as good as the radiologist reading it. Blood tests are highly unreliable - taken it from somone that has been there.

You need to detox to stop your body being alcohol dependent. I would ask for acamprosate to then help your brain to return to normal and stop thinking about alcohol 24/7 and then a decent counsellor (good luck with that, most are useless) that can help you remove yourself from the triggers that make you drink.

• Posted

I would recommend you ask for a fibroscan as this is a more detailed than a ultrasound.
  • Posted

I did see a second dr on Friday and he said the ultrasound was to make sure there was no cirrhosis or scarring but he also said the enzymes would go back to normal once I stop drinking so I'm pretty confused.

Thanks for the responses.

• Posted

This is correct, your enzymes will go back to normal when you stop drinking. I have liver damage but blood tests are good.
    • Posted

What sort of liver damage? Is it cirrhosis?
    • Posted

What do you consider good blood tests? Because if you have full on cirrhosis, you'd be able to see it in your labs. INR / Platelets / AST / ALT / GGT would be way high. Curious.

• Posted

What do you consider good blood tests? Because if you have full on cirrhosis, you'd be able to see it in your labs. INR / Platelets / AST / ALT / GGT would be way high. Curious.

• Posted

I have full on cirrhosis, Child-Pugh Class A. All my bloods are fine, within the guidelines. The only one that is out, is platelets, which is ~100, but please bear in mind that that is the British measurement, this is a British forum.
    • Posted

So, like I was saying your bloods are not normal. I only say this because a lot of people come on here asking us about cirrhosis and I hear people say "Your bloods can be normal with cirrhosis" and no they can't. ast/alt maybe, but thats it. Whats your GGT?

• Posted

45 when it was last done in May this year. Like I said, my bloods are normal. Now don't split hairs, my platelet count may have always been low, unlike some people, I don't try and dehydrate myself or eat certain foods prior to my test to push it up.

I am not going to answer any more questions, and my reply was not to you, also my exact reply was 'This is correct, your enzymes will go back to normal when you stop drinking'.

• Posted

Sorry if I misunderstood you, my argument was "Your bloods are NOT normal when you have cirrhosis"

That is all. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.