Recent diagnosis trying to understand what I should be removing from my diet.

Posted , 4 users are following.

In the pamplet I received from my MD its states to avoid onions, garlic, tomatoes. spicy foods pepperĀ  etc.

Does that mean I also need to avoid seasoning food with garlic powder or onion salt or is it talking about raw form?

If so, what seasonings are you using for chicken, fish and beef?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi robin, yes most things you read advise on removing certain foods from your diet as they can be a trigger, although it is a very personal thing. What aggrevates someone's symptoms is not necessarily what affects others.

I don't seem to have many symptoms from spicy food, garlic etc , Although I do limit them and I find that breads , pastry and things aggravate my stomach and therefore give me symptoms that flare up heartburn /acid etc. It's all a bit of trial and error really and finding out what makes your symptoms worse . .

• Posted

Thank you for your reply to my questions.

I do notice that after eatting bread my feel the need to clear my throat.

Wondering if that part of the issue.

• Posted

Just try to find out what seems to give you heartburn... Me its pastry, curry, garlic, tomatoes and eating (and drinking alcohol) close to bedtime. So I do not do this and try to have a 2 hour gap at least between bed and the last thing I eat. A cuppa before bed doesn't seem to affect me but this is usually accompanied by my tablet. Of course I have no idea what's happening inside as I seem to have silent reflux as well as the more nasty reflux attacks. My Barretts will be checked in 2018 , so I hope watching my diet could be helping reduce the acid reflux and therefore not creating or changing my barretts. Fingers crossed. Just find out what triggers your attacks and avoid that food , especially near bedtime. Good luck

• Posted

Thank you for your response. I have quit eatting 3 hours prior to bed and already sleeping better. biggrin

• Posted

It does worry me how many doctors still issue "banned foods" lists as if this is a law. They often rely on propagated myths which my not reflect reality (eg the "spicy foods" which sounds as if it makes sense as we may feel a burn in the throat but are actually tolerated well by most people and many of the spices (eg turmeric) may have a beneficial effect. If spicy foods were so bad, the Indian sub-continet would have the highest incidence of oesophageal cancer instead of being amongst the lowest. )

Every one of us is different (with unique gut biome and learned food preferences) and we react o foods differently. You need to keep a food diary to determine your own particular food triggers to avoid.

• Posted

Thank you for your resonse. I do agree with what you have to say it makes a lot of sense. The food diary is great idea the only problem is I never feel heart burn/indigestion only symptoms was food feeling like it was getting stuck. During the endoscopy the MD stretched the narowing egoshogus and now that feeling has gone away.

Was surprised from the diagnosis of Barretts. The other issue is I also have large ulcer and it needs to heal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.