recently diagnosed

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, all. I was recently diagnosed with LS. I'm 40, no children, and and think I've had had it had it for several years. My labia are fused, I have some scarring over over my clitoris but still have sensation. My biggest worry at the moment is the intense burning feeling that just started a couple of days ago. It's awful!

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I'm 63 and have had LS since I was 22, but was only diagnosed two years ago. For me, burning is an early sign of a yeast infection. In my experience, LS and yeast have carried on a vicious cycle for decades. These days I really try to avoid having to treat a raging yeast infection with Canestan – it burns and makes LS flare up. Yeast itself makes LS flare up. So, I watch closely and if stress, sugar and friction (sex) conspire to stir up the yeast, I use a little blob of Canestan cream left from my last infection and apply it topically and inside my vagina. This seems to nip the yeast in the bud.

If you do get an actual cheesy discharge where you know it's yeast, my gynae told me to use the mild Canestan cream rather than the one or three-day eggs, which burn so bad – they're too harsh for us.

Cut out any big servings of sugar (including too much fresh fruit) right away. It's really bad for LS. My worst-ever flareup and abscess came after a summer of daily chocolate, stress and too frequent sex.

• Posted

When I start burning, my best treatment is Vaseline. I normally use coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil but it seems when my perinium starts to burn, I get the best response with Vaseline. Along with steroid and emuaid.
  • Posted

Thank you for the advice! I was using clob 2x day for 1 month, then my gyn told me to taper to 1x day for 1 month and then stop entirely and move to crisco shortening. I just ended that 1x day treatment and switched to emu oil and emuaid instead of crisco based on recommendations I read on this site, but I had never experience that burning before. Seems ok so far today but I'm going to use vaseline. And I have a huge sweet tooth so I guess I need to kick that habit. It's daunting - so many foods have hidden sugar!
    • Posted

Oh, that sweet tooth is big trouble. I'm surprised the doctor told you to go cold turkey from daily. That could be your problem. You have to ease off steroids.

• Posted

Unfortunately I think my gyn is over her head on this, although so am I. I'm still wrestling with the diagnosis even though I know it's accurate. I knew it before she said it. On the plus side, the burning wasn't nearly as bad today so I'm thankful for that. But I honestly cannot even fathom eliminating all sugar although if it saves my genitals and some semblence of a continued sex life with my husband, I certainly have good reason to change my diet. I just have to figure out how to start. :-/
    • Posted

You don't have to eliminate all sugar. Just cut out the big servings. The combo of sugar, stress and the friction of sex is deadly when you're already flared up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.